Critter Mix

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Critter Mix

Post by Dalantech »

Cool, partly cloudy weather makes the perfect conditions to photograph small solitary bees. I found this Mining Bee foraging in a Dandelion. It would occasionally "wake up" and move around the flower and when it paused I'd look for a way to compose it.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I held the flower close to a tile wall to keep the background from being black.

ImageForaging Mining Bee V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I found this rather alien looking metallic beetle eating Dandelion pollen and followed it around the flower waiting for it to pause long enough for me to get a shot. Not exactly sure what species it is.

Tentatively identified as Buprestidae, likely in the genus Acmaeodera. Common name: Jewel Beetle.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (almost 3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I held the flower close to a wall to keep the background from being black.

ImageMetallic Beetle by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Got lucky and found a female Spotted Eye Drone fly early in the day, and she was lethargic enough to let me get a few frames. I know she's a she cause there is a gap between her eyes -males have eyes that touch each other at the top of their head.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order. I held the grass stem close to a wall to keep the background from being black.

ImageFemale Spotted Eye Drone by John Kimbler, on Flickr

In the absence of other water sources Honeybees will collect the dew that builds up between rose petals. Crab Spiders use those same rose petals as hunting blinds while they wait for unsuspecting foragers.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageCrab Spider with a Honeybee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I found a cooperative Soldier Beetle that let me take a few frames.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSoldier Beetle by John Kimbler, on Flickr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Critter Mix

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice collection! I especially like the "staring me down" impression for the drone fly.

--Rik

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 am
Nice collection! I especially like the "staring me down" impression for the drone fly.

--Rik
Thanks Rik!

kutilka

Post by kutilka »

Soldier beetle = Oedemera sp. (Oedemeridae)
Jewel Beetle = Cryptocephalus sp. (Chrysomelidae)
Beautiful shots ...

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

kutilka wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 pm
Soldier beetle = Oedemera sp. (Oedemeridae)
Jewel Beetle = Cryptocephalus sp. (Chrysomelidae)
Beautiful shots ...
Thanks for the IDs!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic