Peruvian Amazon: Manu/Tambopata

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

Peruvian Amazon: Manu/Tambopata

Post by pbertner »

On location in Cocha Cashu Biological station, Manu national park, Peru. A rainbow above the canopy, a reminder of the rain on the horizon, and the beautiful life it represents:

An immature rufescent tiger heron (Tigrisoma lineatum), a common site along the banks of the lake. The feathers of the crest are raised in response to horseflies, an ever-present irritation:

A Great egret (Ardea alba) in self-reflection:

An ovipositing, lichen-mimicking katydid pries underneath the bark to deposit her eggs:

Promenade a deux: A surprisingly delicate courtship dance by these scorpions is given an added elegance under UV light:

A halloween inspired scene, a cordyceps fungus infects a tarantula (Cordyceps calceroides). An above ground, as it appeared "in-situ", and fully excavated view:

A cowbird perches atop a capybara along the riverbank cleaning the capybara of ticks, botflies and any other external parasites it may have accumulated in its semi-aquatic lifestyle:

Amazon sunrise:

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

grgh

Post by grgh »

Beautiful shots, every one a winner for me.

Just a query, on the first shot "A rainbow above the canopy"
were you up in the canopy, or an elevated hillside?.
Lovely shot.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks grgh - I was using a drone. This is the lowlands, so no real hills to speak of.

hayath

Post by hayath »

Very fascinating set!
Good work flexing all the gear :) That tiger heron is stunning

The courting scorpions image is jawdropping

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The Cordyceps pair is great. The usual pictures of such fungi show prey that have been zombie-driven into some unusual position, the better to spread spores. But this one appears to have just killed the tarantula in its burrow, then grown up into the air currents all by itself. Very interesting!

Is this the customary lifestyle for this Cordyceps, or is this specimen unusual?

--Rik

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Hey Rik, good observation. Short answer, I don't know. It's a rare species on which not much research has been done. I've only ever seen it once before, also within its burrow.

My theory though, is that because tarantulas are nocturnal and conspicuous, a behavioural change like that seen in other insects would likely serve a counterproductive purpose, in that the tarantula would likely get eaten by birds, or other mammals, rather than survive long enough as a vessel for spore dispersal.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Superlative!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic