This spider almost got me.

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dwight_talley

This spider almost got me.

Post by dwight_talley »

As many of you know I am afraid of spiders. Going to work Monday morning at 4am when it is still dark, I walk out of the back door to go to my car. I run full face into a BIG spider web. It is almost like the scene in the movie Lord of the Rings! Out of the corner of my eye I see the spider that set this trap for me. I run to the car in record time. I should be in the Olympics. I spend the next two hours driving to work checking to see if it was on me and removing the web.

When I get home from work, there is no sign of the web or spider. Good. Later that night as I was letting the dogs out, the spider runs past the top of my head as it is building a new trap for me. After putting on my flack vest, gloves and helmet, I subdue the monster and attach the photo as proof of my heroic deeds.

Reversed Nikon EL 50 at f/5.6 125 shots stacked in Photoshop CS5

Dwight

MJSfoto1956

Post by MJSfoto1956 »

great story! inspirational for the rest of us!

Harold Gough

Re: This spider almost got me.

Post by Harold Gough »

dwight_talley wrote:attach the photo as proof of my heroic deeds.
It could equally refer to the spider's deeds! :D

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

DQE

Post by DQE »

I think the spider wants to be your friend!

In part through our shared macro photography hobby, my partner has overcome her childhood arachnophobia. She now loves to find new spiders in our house or garden. She even catches food for some of them. A fearsome-looking basement spider became so conditioned to the vibrations from her footfalls and her daily bug catches that it would come out of its funnel web and patiently wait for her arrival.

Outside of Austrialia and the jungles, most spiders aren't much of a risk (if any) to people. I have to admit that I still react negatively to some types of spiders (based solely on their appearance).
-------------
Very enjoyable photo - I especially enjoy photos that feature the spider's "face".
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

DQE wrote:Outside of Austrialia and the jungles, most spiders aren't much of a risk (if any) to people.
Except, that is, as a distraction when one is unexpectedly encountered, possibly while driving a car. (There is often at least one in my car, but no flies).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am terribly afraid of spiders too but however, not so long ago, I picked up and actually played with my first spider. It was a jumper sitting on the seat of my motorcycle and in a moment of Zen, I could not bear to harm it. So, I picked it up, played with it some and let it go with an admonishment of not to be trying to ride my bike again. Besides, it didn't have a helmet, jacket, gloves or boots. :D

gmazza

Post by gmazza »

Excellent portrait with personality.

Before macro spiders were in my nightmares, after months taking pictures of them and now by best nights are the ones that I dream with spiders.
Gustavo Mazzarollo

Portfolio

http://www.gmazza.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic