Thistle

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

missgecko

Thistle

Post by missgecko »

A thistle taken in the last throes of summer. I don't know anything about thistles and I'm not sure if this is a Scotch thistle. I just know they are rather beautiful in their own way but downright ugly when they're dead. It's more of an abstract sort of photo :D

Cheers
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Love it! :wink:

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

Hey thanks Charles!! :D
Sam

'To see a world in a grain of sand And heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand And eternity in an hour.' William Blake

ChrisLilley

Re: Thistle

Post by ChrisLilley »

missgecko wrote:A thistle taken in the last throes of summer. I don't know anything about thistles and I'm not sure if this is a Scotch thistle. I just know they are rather beautiful in their own way but downright ugly when they're dead.
But spiky, and good for hurting the bare feet of advancing Norwegian armies.
http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Sc ... histle.htm

ChrisLilley

Post by ChrisLilley »

Turning now to the photo, i like the radially symmetrical composition and it shows well both the fierce spikes and the downy softness.

missgecko

Post by missgecko »

Thanks for that Chris!! Ouch!!!! Now that would hurt. What a fascinating part of history. Maybe they should have had a shot of scotch afterwards to take away the pain and numb the senses after being defeated :D
Cheers
Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic