Sweat Bees in a Sunflower

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Sweat Bees in a Sunflower

Post by Dalantech »

The natural light looked decent so I decided to break out the long glass and take a scenic shot. So many Sweat Bees foraging in my Sunflower that it looks like an airport.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (aperture priority F8, 1/800, ISO 800) + a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II with IS on. E-TTL metering, (-2/3 EV). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bees in a Sunflower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This Sweat Bee is on approach to land on a Sunflower, and has started to drop his landing gear. One of the few times that day when the Sunflower was empty.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (aperture priority F8, 1/800, ISO 800) + a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II with IS on. E-TTL metering, (-2/3 EV). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Sharpen AI and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee Approaching a Sunflower by John Kimbler, on Flickr

aveslux

Re: Sweat Bees in a Sunflower

Post by aveslux »

Very nice shots John I also have the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II L a very nice all around nature walkaround lens. I tend to use mine with the 1.4x III extender on. Good for birds, butterflies and dragonflies.

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

aveslux wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:57 pm
Very nice shots John I also have the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II L a very nice all around nature walkaround lens. I tend to use mine with the 1.4x III extender on. Good for birds, butterflies and dragonflies.
Thanks!

If the natural light would cooperate I would use it more often, but most of the time the light is good when I am at work. I bought my copy right after Canon released it and all the rings are still tight.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Beautiful! I also rely on this lens, and also with a 1.4x extender (the Tamron model). My go-to lens for dragonflies and butterflies, but the working distance is close enough that it also pulls in damselflies pretty good. It is heavy, though. I usually rest the lens on a monopod with a V-yoke. This is very helpful.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:56 pm
Beautiful! I also rely on this lens, and also with a 1.4x extender (the Tamron model). My go-to lens for dragonflies and butterflies, but the working distance is close enough that it also pulls in damselflies pretty good. It is heavy, though. I usually rest the lens on a monopod with a V-yoke. This is very helpful.
Thanks!

If I use a monopod it is without a ball head. I just grab it with my hand, extend my thumb, and then rest the lens on my thumb. That way if the action is changing I can adjust the height of the lens by sliding my hand. Also works if you are out somewhere that has reeds you can use one as a makeshift monopod.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic