Olympus Splan versus Splan Apo Objectives

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Simon W

Olympus Splan versus Splan Apo Objectives

Post by Simon W »

So I found some 'reasonably' priced Apochromatic objectives in fleabay, well below the cost of those outrageously priced lab supplies shops. The lenses look very well worn, but the seller agreed to my returning if I wasn't happy. No need :D I am happy.

The 20x is spectacular, as Charlie says, very crisp and well defined. The 40x takes awhile to appreciate at first, then like most objects of desire, you start to appreciate the subtleties. Certainly there's zero chromatic issues in the 20x and very little in the 40. I took these shots to compare. By the end of my enjoyable session looking at the extracts of my Goldfish aquarium's filter, I could instantly tell which objective I was using and then eventually gave up on the 'plain' Splans.

Don't get me wrong, they are very good, and don't require that much photoshop work to correct, but, it's hard to explain, the Apos are just that much clearer/crisper. Like high end audio, you do pay a large amount extra for diminishing returns. That's exactly why I personally would never pay those ridiculous high hundreds prices!

At 40x I reckon the race is very close, but after awhile you do start to enjoy just seeing a clearly defined black outline, say, rather than a slight rainbow effect.

20x achro

20x apo with details:

40x Apo, no idea about this creature, it was quite deep as you can see:

40x achro:

I'll leave it to you to tell the difference. As ever, using them at first hand the impression is greater. I only have type 1 coverslips at the minute which makes things harder to compare

Let me know if you want me to do more comparos. Oh, and if anyone's interested in some excellent condition 20 & 40x Splans, you know where to come!
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The creature with the hooked claws may be a mite larva (3 pairs of legs).

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Thanks Harold.
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic