Nikon Plan 10/0.25 infinity

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

RogelioMoreno
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Panama

Nikon Plan 10/0.25 infinity

Post by RogelioMoreno »

As I got good result witn the L Plan 20 0.4 infinite objective, I decide to test my Nikon Plan 10/0.25 infinite + Vivitar 200mm (as tube lens) and here is the result:

The following image is a stack of 298 frames at 4um steps
Image

Look at this 50% crop:

Image

Rogelio

rjlittlefield
Site Admin
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Richland, Washington State, USA
Contact:

Post by rjlittlefield »

Really excellent! HF does a great job on these finely detailed cuticle surfaces.

One thing puzzles me -- the "duplicated" hairs that we can see just left of center in the crop. It looks like a stacking artifact but I have never seen anything quite like this before.

Do they show up in the individual frames? Do you have any idea what is going on there?

--Rik

RogelioMoreno
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Panama

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Rik,

Thank you very much.

I will check the hairs and try to do the stack with ZS with Scale, Rotation and Shift turned off.

Rogelio

morfa
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Post by morfa »

Superb results Rogelio and very interesting to see that this approach working so well for you.

Do you have a finite CF 10x 0.25? It would be great if you could show us comparison images from the two. I realize it's not an easy comparison to make considering the different mounts etc!

RogelioMoreno
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Panama

Post by RogelioMoreno »

rjlittlefield wrote: One thing puzzles me -- the "duplicated" hairs that we can see just left of center in the crop. It looks like a stacking artifact but I have never seen anything quite like this before.

Do they show up in the individual frames? Do you have any idea what is going on there?

--Rik
Rik,

I checked it and the hairs are on the individual frames.

Rogelio

RogelioMoreno
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Panama

Post by RogelioMoreno »

morfa wrote:Superb results Rogelio and very interesting to see that this approach working so well for you.

Do you have a finite CF 10x 0.25? It would be great if you could show us comparison images from the two. I realize it's not an easy comparison to make considering the different mounts etc!
John,

Thank you.

I have a Nikon CF Plan 10/0.3 DL (phase contrast) and a Nikon 10/0.3 WI, I already posted a similar with the 10/0.3 WI (without the tipping); but I think it was overexposed. I will try with the Plan 10/0.3 DL.

Rogelio

rjlittlefield
Site Admin
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Richland, Washington State, USA
Contact:

Post by rjlittlefield »

RogelioMoreno wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote: One thing puzzles me -- the "duplicated" hairs that we can see just left of center in the crop.
I checked it and the hairs are on the individual frames.
Excellent -- I was having a lot of trouble figuring out how some hairs could get duplicated, without having duplicated features at other places too.

In your full frame shot, it looks like you are using symmetric lighting, two lights on exactly opposite sides. So maybe the "duplicated" hairs are actually two bright reflections per hair, one on either side of the hair from the corresponding light?

--Rik

bklein
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 am
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA

Post by bklein »

So I don't know, maybe I missed another thread on this.... So nothing magic about the Vivitar, right? I should be able to try my Nikon 200mm F4...? How about finding a Nikon tube lens... or a standin... my microscope stuff is Olympus. Not Nikon compatible really in these terms. What's next to try in this area of DIY experimentation?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Richland, Washington State, USA
Contact:

Post by rjlittlefield »

There's nothing really "magical" about the Vivitar, but you can expect different telephotos to work more or less well for this use depending on details that don't matter at all in normal use. The reason is described HERE.

I think this is a case of "try it and see".

--Rik

RogelioMoreno
Posts: 2962
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Panama

Post by RogelioMoreno »

rjlittlefield wrote: In your full frame shot, it looks like you are using symmetric lighting, two lights on exactly opposite sides. So maybe the "duplicated" hairs are actually two bright reflections per hair, one on either side of the hair from the corresponding light?
I used a single FO illuminator.

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic