macro flash units

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Hi Sue,

I've another solution for you:

and here is someone who was using it besides me:

:wink: :lol:

On a more serious note: I'm using the MR14 since years and I still love it .. the above solution was extremely nice in terms of light but not easy to maneuver in the field (and d**n heavy too). I did try the MR24 a while back but couldn't find enough reasons to keep it instead of my MR14.

Best all,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

salden

Post by salden »

F-STOP!!!! :lol: . I wonder if he ever published a book on his adventures. I miss that little green guy.
Sue Alden

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I suspect that the setup with the camera body included would be the more successful one! :D

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

salden wrote:F-STOP!!!! :lol: .
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hehe Sue, that was quick! :) Yeah, I, too, miss him (and the times back then). He was visiting me in June 2004, traveling half the globe from Danny to me. Here are some more pics:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/B4F4D7F3727094F

As you can see he had to "cross the pond" again :) I think I have more pics, lets see if I can find them and add them to the album.

Best,
Sven
If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you're not out there, you'll only hear about it. - Jay Maisel

salden

Post by salden »

my hard drive (external) crashed with my images of f-stop so I think I lost mine. I might have a backup on cd. When I had him, he visited the Amish and went on a buggy ride and did a bit of farming.
Sue Alden

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

Harold Gough wrote:I suspect that the setup with the camera body included would be the more successful one!
Maybe :lol:

That day I had only one camera bag with me at home for doing macro stuff in my backyard and therefor no second cam with me to take pictures of the setup ...

Sven

Sven Bernert

Post by Sven Bernert »

salden wrote:When I had him, he visited the Amish ...
I think I remember this image (or at least the fact, that there was an image of that kind ..

I'm sure Jim still has all F-Stop images in his archive, does he still has the F-Stop gallery up? I'm still visiting NPN from time to time but only the realize, how much distance and time is between then and now ..

We are heavily off topic :lol:

Sven

salden

Post by salden »

Sven Bernert wrote:
salden wrote:When I had him, he visited the Amish ...
I think I remember this image (or at least the fact, that there was an image of that kind ..

I'm sure Jim still has all F-Stop images in his archive, does he still has the F-Stop gallery up? I'm still visiting NPN from time to time but only the realize, how much distance and time is between then and now ..

We are heavily off topic :lol:

Sven
Yes we are Sven, but F-Stop has a way of doing that to a discussion :lol: It is the memories and they are all good.

I sent a message to Jim to ask about F-stop.
Sue Alden

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I started with a Kennett Macro Flash Unit on a Cannon A1, using twin manual flash. That was calibrated for from 1/10 life size, down to life size, using various (effective) apertures. I used a Tamron 90mm macro lens with a x2 converter.

Recently, I have decided that the setup would be useful where I wanted to avoid darkness, due to light falloff, behind the subject. As I now use 100 ISO film for most puposes, I would have to recalibrate the unit.

Also, I have been wanting to get more than just the occasional shot of dragonflies and damselflies and have even purchased chest-waders.

My books were not really adequate for identification of more than a few of the species so I made another purchase. It was somewhat surprising, and reassuring, to find the section on photographing them stating that the Kennett unit had been designed mainly with the photography of these insects in mind. The book: Dragonflies and Damselflies of Britain and Northern Europe by Bob Gibbons, a Country Life Guide, ISBN 0-600-33378-7.

harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic