Concerns Buying Used Mitutoyo M Plan APO 10x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ryan_Pearson

Concerns Buying Used Mitutoyo M Plan APO 10x

Post by Ryan_Pearson »

I am looking to upgrade my microscope objective to a Mitutoyo M Plan App 10x. I would like to avoid spending $1k if I can avoid it - I generally buy all my lenses used and it's worked well so far. My biggest concern is I have no idea what to look for and objectives seem to be more finicky than your standard Sony/Sigma/etc. lens.

Are there reputable dealers I should be looking at for used Mitutoyo objectives?
Is $500-$600 a standard price for a used Mitutoyo lens?
What are the lifetimes and standard failure modes for Mitutoyo objectives?

A few links I am interested in:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1301637321
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175646538414
https://www.ebay.com/p/1264068932

Scarodactyl

Re: Concerns Buying Used Mitutoyo M Plan APO 10x

Post by Scarodactyl »

I've had good luck with the 10xes overall. Sometimes they come up even cheaper. Just make sure they're not listed as for parts or no returns so you can send any potential lemons back. If you're shooting on aps-c you might find some of the alternatives (seiwa or edmund/motic) are very close in performance and sometimes very inexpensive.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Concerns Buying Used Mitutoyo M Plan APO 10x

Post by Chris S. »

Ryan,

The main failure mode I've seen in "bad" Mitutoyo objectives is that they are significantly unsharp. This can be caused by bumping the objective in a way that leaves no mark, but irreparably changes the alignment of some optical element(s). I would expect that somewhere between a third and two-thirds of second hand 10x Mitutoyos are bad.

I always advise against buying a second-hand Mitutoyo unless one has the means to compare it with a "known good" objective under identical conditions and has a suitable return window. It sounds as if you currently have a 10x objective of some other brand. You might use this as a benchmark, though of course the comparison wouldn't be as direct as comparing against a known-good Mitty 10x. (I often volunteer to test objectives for forum members, but with summer travels looming, I can't do this until fall.)

Of the offerings you listed, I'd scratch the one in Korea and the one in China. Though each offers a return privilege, the cost and hassle of returning an optic from USA to either Korea or China is more than I would risk. Also, the vendor in China has only 14 feedbacks. The California vendor might be worth trying--he is in your own state, and has 111 positive feedbacks as seller. But note that he does not permit returns. This said, the eBay guarantee is said to apply. Theoretically, this means that if the optic is faulty, you could return it and eBay would back you. Personally, I avoid buying under such circumstances, as I dislike the idea of forcing a seller who does not want returns to accept a return. A plus side, though, is that the vendor does appear to be in the business of selling used laboratory equipment.

Good luck!

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic