Stackshot shutter cable for Sony

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

TerpsForTea

Stackshot shutter cable for Sony

Post by TerpsForTea »

Hello, I hope everyone is well.

I would like to get a new trigger cable for my Stackshot to Sony a7r iv. However I can only find it on the stackshot website, so it would be nice find a cheaper UK version if possible? On their website it is called a 'Sony Shutter Cable (RM-VPR1)' and here is the link: https://cognisys-inc.com/focus-stacking ... e-rca.html

I have two alternatives that I am unsure will work. The first is to use a 'Sony multi terminal to AV RCA' and just plug in the the video AV connection and leave the other two hanging. Here is a link to one I found: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... %22%7D&pdp_

The second option that im equally unsure about is to use a 'Sony multi terminal to 2.5mm' and then use a '2.5mm shutter to RCA adapter' to plug it into the stackshot.

It would be great if anyone knows the best option, as I am sure I can't be the only one trying to avoid the shipping costs from the US. Take care all, and thanks for any help.

UncleChip

Re: Stackshot shutter cable for Sony

Post by UncleChip »

The problem is you don’t know what terminals are being used for what cable, a quick google says the Sony multiport has 10 terminals, 2 being ground and 4 shutter,
Maybe with more searching you could find the pin layouts of the cables you are looking for, the multi cable will probably not have the shutter terminal connected as it’s designed for sound and vision.

Personally I would get a shutter release cable for Sony, these are micro usb to mini jack, this way you know the correct terminals are being used, they are a fiver on eBay, then get a mini jack to rca adapter

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The RCA cable also uses either a Zener diode or a 0 ohm resistor on one of the terminals. I forgot.

Send an email to Cognisys, they should be able to assist you.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

personally I'd just buy a cheap complete trigger control, open the case and wire the RCA to the pins where the push button triggers. something like this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/144780486305

for more DIY, here some links I found:
https://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/#sony
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2335287@N ... 095350776/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-Mn4ctkWg
chris

macrolophus

Post by macrolophus »

The VMC-15MR2 and knock offs (Sony multi terminal to AV RCA) will work as a shutter release (the white RCA). Maybe you need to short the red (se below). I haven't tried, and I don't know if it would be fully compatible with a Cognisys controller.
References:
www.studio1productions.com/Articles/sony-pinout.htm
www.flickr.com/photos/94035316@N04/with/12559304323

The tinkering options are what chris_ma suggest or using a "S2" cable (MT to 2.5 jack).

The Sony MT to 2.5mm TRS jack plug cables are intended as spares for shutter timers and similar. The 2.5mm TRS works the same as the shutter button:
- Shorting the ring in the middle to the sleeve (ground) is the same as shutter button half press.
- Keep the ring shortened and also short the tip equals to shutter button full press (release shutter).

I don't know if Cognisys has done some trickery like Macro_Cosmos mention. If they don't really have, what you need is to just connect both the TRS sleeve and ring to the outer RCA shield and the tip to the RCA pin. If you can solder it will be easy to cut an old RCA cable and do this. Some "creative" crimping may also work.

If you want to use a jack til RCA adapter you must use one that do stereo jack to stereo RCA (two RCA plugs) and then short the red RCA (right audio) that should be connected to the TRS ring. (Stereo jack to mono RCA will not work!) Amazon B07H4DMPRC might possibly work together with a 2.5 to 3.5 stereo jack adapter.

macrolophus

Post by macrolophus »

macrolophus wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:35 am
Stereo jack to mono RCA will not work!
Sorry, this seems to be plain wrong. A stereo jack to mono RCA should work for Sony.
(I was tinking about a problem adapting a similar cable for some Canon cameras.)

lothman

Post by lothman »

I do not use Cognisys parts but stuff from MKJZZ. But the problem is the similar. I hacked an IR-remote control and later a blue-tooth control (since my A7rv no longer supports IR remote :( ) in order to trigger my camera wireless while stacking, so no cables hanging around.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 66#p286266

P.S: I have over some of the converted IR-Controls with 2,5mm jack, you probably only need to solder/adapt a stereo jack to it. Let me know.

TerpsForTea

Post by TerpsForTea »

UncleChip wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:11 pm
The problem is you don’t know what terminals are being used for what cable, a quick google says the Sony multiport has 10 terminals, 2 being ground and 4 shutter,
Maybe with more searching you could find the pin layouts of the cables you are looking for, the multi cable will probably not have the shutter terminal connected as it’s designed for sound and vision.
That is a very good point and something I hadn’t thought about. Thanks for mentioning,
Personally I would get a shutter release cable for Sony, these are micro usb to mini jack, this way you know the correct terminals are being used, they are a fiver on eBay, then get a mini jack to rca adapter
I will try out the shutter release cable and adapters option. But did you mean multi terminal instead of micro usb, as it has the shutter contact?

TerpsForTea

Post by TerpsForTea »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:51 pm
The RCA cable also uses either a Zener diode or a 0 ohm resistor on one of the terminals. I forgot.

Send an email to Cognisys, they should be able to assist you.
I did email asking for advice but they said they couldn’t recommend any 3rd party cables. Maybe it will be more useful to ask for the specifics like you mentioned so I can find out what's used in the terminals.

TerpsForTea

Post by TerpsForTea »

chris_ma wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:18 am
personally I'd just buy a cheap complete trigger control, open the case and wire the RCA to the pins where the push button triggers. something like this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/144780486305

for more DIY, here some links I found:
https://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_pinout/#sony
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2335287@N ... 095350776/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB-Mn4ctkWg
Thank you for those helpful links, that is something I will have to try out soon. It doesn’t look too hard either and it’ll be exactly what I want. Probably the best option.

TerpsForTea

Post by TerpsForTea »

macrolophus wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:35 am
The VMC-15MR2 and knock offs (Sony multi terminal to AV RCA) will work as a shutter release (the white RCA). Maybe you need to short the red (se below). I haven't tried, and I don't know if it would be fully compatible with a Cognisys controller.
References:
www.studio1productions.com/Articles/sony-pinout.htm
www.flickr.com/photos/94035316@N04/with/12559304323
I was hoping that would be the case for the VMC-15MR2. I’ll give it a go, it’s very simple , and thanks for the helpful links!
The tinkering options are what chris_ma suggest or using a "S2" cable (MT to 2.5 jack).

The Sony MT to 2.5mm TRS jack plug cables are intended as spares for shutter timers and similar. The 2.5mm TRS works the same as the shutter button:
- Shorting the ring in the middle to the sleeve (ground) is the same as shutter button half press.
- Keep the ring shortened and also short the tip equals to shutter button full press (release shutter).
I think the option chris_ma mentioned will be most efficient. Thanks for those further details on the Sony MT to 2.5mm those are useful.
I don't know if Cognisys has done some trickery like Macro_Cosmos mention. If they don't really have, what you need is to just connect both the TRS sleeve and ring to the outer RCA shield and the tip to the RCA pin. If you can solder it will be easy to cut an old RCA cable and do this. Some "creative" crimping may also work.
Macro_Cosmos comment was interesting, I will follow that up with Cognisys. But I have never soldered so I probably won’t peruse the option.
If you want to use a jack til RCA adapter you must use one that do stereo jack to stereo RCA (two RCA plugs) and then short the red RCA (right audio) that should be connected to the TRS ring. (Stereo jack to mono RCA will not work!) Amazon B07H4DMPRC might possibly work together with a 2.5 to 3.5 stereo jack adapter.
I didn’t even realise I would need a 2.5 to 3.5 jack adapter, thanks for mentioning. I’ll get the cables and adapters and try it out.

TerpsForTea

Post by TerpsForTea »

lothman wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 am
I do not use Cognisys parts but stuff from MKJZZ. But the problem is the similar. I hacked an IR-remote control and later a blue-tooth control (since my A7rv no longer supports IR remote :( ) in order to trigger my camera wireless while stacking, so no cables hanging around.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 66#p286266

P.S: I have over some of the converted IR-Controls with 2,5mm jack, you probably only need to solder/adapt a stereo jack to it. Let me know.
I like what you’ve done there, thanks for sharing the post. But I don’t want to use a remote and I won’t be doing any soldering.

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

lothman wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 am
Yes, I was quite annoyed to discover this about the A7rv. I can't imagine why they did this. Blue-tooth requires pairing. Grrrr.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Soldering is very easy, otherwise you can purchase those solder iron free wire couplers and use a hairdryer. It is a good skill to pick up.

If Cognysis is not willing to provide help (contrary to my experience), then a forum member with the cable should be able to help, take it to a multimeter.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Like others mentioned, the easiest way is to buy a ready-made short spiral cable from Amazon, which carries at one end a Micro USB plug and at the other end a 2.5 mm stereo jack. For an example search on Amazon "JJC Shutter Release Connector Cable For Sony" but there are also others. Then connect it to the Stackshot controller with a longer ready-made cable with RCA plug to mono (not stereo) 2.5 mm female jack socket.

I use the Stackshot controller with Olympus old-style cameras (with proprietary socket), Olympus new-style cameras (with 2.5 mm stereo jack socket) and Sony Alpha (with Micro USB socket), so for me it is easiest to have multiple camera adapters (for "last mile" connection to the camera), but a single long cable from the Stackshot to the stand, bundled to the Stackshot-to-motor cable with a plastic spiral sheath. To avoid losing a camera adapter I tie all three together and to the cable that goes to the Stackshot.

PS - On Amazon there are also Sony Alpha-compatible cables that allow you to use a wired remote control at the same time as you charge the battery in-camera through the same USB connector. They are quite expensive but can potentially be handy. I have not tried them.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic