Amateur Question: Full Frame vs Crop Sensor

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Re: Amateur Question: Full Frame vs Crop Sensor

Post by Marcepstein »

Another camera to consider is the Fuji X-H2, which offers 40 MP on an APS-C sensor.
I have read that the Fuji system is a good macro system, thanks for suggesting it.

I appreciate the discussion on FF vs Crop sensors, it helped pointing me in a good direction. I have been reading the R7 manual and noticed that the section on "shooting with speedlites" says that the R7 will work with the Mechanical and EFCS but not the electronic shutter. I called Canon CPS to confirm and they advised that "yes", it will work with my older Canon flashes (Ex series and the MT-26ex twin lite) but it was designed to work with EL-1&5. That's good to know.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Marcepstein wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:11 am
R7 will work with the Mechanical and EFCS but not the electronic shutter. ... it will work with my older Canon flashes (Ex series and the MT-26ex twin lite) but it was designed to work with EL-1&5.
I confirm that this is exactly how my R7 works. I really like that the R7 will flash in EFSC mode. More info about the flashes is that the R7 uses a new hot shoe design that has a row of new contacts "hidden" at the front of the shoe. Those contacts are just ignored by earlier flashes. One slight lack of compatibility is that the old-style weather seals do not seal with the new shoe, so when you use an old flash by itself, you lose weatherproofing. Canon does sell an adapter that solves that problem, https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/multi- ... pter-ad-e1 . I have not bothered to get one of those because I do not photograph in wet surroundings.

--Rik

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Be aware that Canon has blocked other lens manufactures from offering autofocus lenses in RF mounts.

I noticed this link in a dpreview thread regarding Canon and the possibility of 3rd party lenses, for what's its worth.

https://digicame--info-com.translate.go ... tr_hl=auto

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic