3D Printed "Dome Ring" light

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mjkzz

3D Printed "Dome Ring" light

Post by mjkzz »

Having vacation, so I printed this idea I had long time back, finally realizing it.

It is a cross between dome light and ring light. When the opening of front cover is small, or just enough to cover objectives, it behaves more light ring light. If opening is large enough and reflective inside and NOT translucent, ie, opaque, it behaves more like a dome light. The inside is spherical however, parabolic is too hard to model (for me). Need to paint the outside black.

This one is designed to put in two rows of LED lights to increase intensity and is for Mitutoyo. For other type objectives, different adapter at back (the black part) can be used, the front "dome" can be screwed onto the black adapter.

[Edit] The front cover has just one layer of 0.2mm, PLA was used, but I think maybe Nylon or PETG could be better.
DomeRing1.jpg
DomeRing2.jpg
Last edited by mjkzz on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjkzz

Re: 3D Printed "Dome Ring" light

Post by mjkzz »

These are failed printing, one is too thin and one has printing temperature too low, easily broken when taking off supports.
DRL_Fail.jpg

mjkzz

Re: 3D Printed "Dome Ring" light

Post by mjkzz »

Just realized no picture for the back :-)
DomeRingBack.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic