Cam Fi

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Doppler9000

Cam Fi

Post by Doppler9000 »

Potentially interesting product for manual lenses. It has been mentioned a few times, but no user experiences.

http://www.cam-fi.com/en/product/camfi_zf.html

Step angle is listed as 18 degrees, which is maybe a typo?

The wireless component, which is required to make this work seems buggy, unfortunately, though there is a new unit which is updated.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Cam Fi

Post by rjlittlefield »

Doppler9000 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 pm
It has been mentioned a few times, but no user experiences.
I have no experience with this unit.

However, I do have experience with a much earlier product from another company, and I am happy to see that this one specifically addresses the two worst deficiencies of the other product. In particular this unit has wide range and adjustability in the belts that are available, and it braces the lens against belt tension so the belt can be tightened arbitrarily with no stress on the camera mount.

One difficulty I found with the other product, which still looks relevant here, is that when confronted with an MP-E 65, it was not able to handle the lens control ring moving front-to-back as the ring turned.
Step angle is listed as 18 degrees, which is maybe a typo?
I would guess so. Specifications page in the manual that I downloaded says Motor Step angle 0.144°. That's a strange number also, but a lot more plausible for a stepper with microstepping.

--Rik

Doppler9000

Re: Cam Fi

Post by Doppler9000 »

I wonder why they didn’t go with a geared follow-focus type design. It seems far simpler but maybe has issues that makes the belts and suspender approach preferable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic