Customs Taxes The Shipper $500 in Tax on a Lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Re: Customs Taxes The Shipper $500 in Tax on a Lens

Post by RobertOToole »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 am
OK, thanks.

So, I think I'm hearing that DHL just messed up and prepared the paperwork incorrectly so as to trigger customs fees that could have been legally avoided.

Do I have that right?

--Rik
Yes, correct, as far as I know.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

bobfriedman wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:17 am
DHL may probably just the freight forwarder for a local delivery service in Japan. Either way, my guess is since the box wasn't checked to seek fees from the local originator on the return transfer they took the easy route.
Yes, look like no one checked.

I'm still surprised Tokyo customs was so quick to respond and with such detailed answers! I'm impressed.

Best,

Robert

Gavinmnt

Post by Gavinmnt »

Dealing with shipping and import taxes can be a real headache. It's good that you're trying to dispute the fee, but as you said, it might be tough to win against Japanese customs. Hopefully, everything works out and you don't end up losing too much money. On the bright side, at least you have a corporation to protect you from liability, right? Anyway, best of luck, and hang in there! And if you ever need to keep track of your expenses, you can try using a <commercial link deleted> generator to create pay stubs for your business. It might come in handy down the line.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Chatgpt is bringing us a new kind of terror.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:06 am
I agree.

Never ceases to amaze me how many bot forum posts I come across on various forums using a search engine looking for specs on some obscure piece of equipment, just yesterday as a matter of fact. That's the scary part for me? How many readers even catch on that they are fake? 10%? 20% at most?

Imagine FB and the billions of political posts per day all thanks to bots!

Recently I've been seeing more and more fake equipment sales sites, the kind that post ads lifted from eBay "Printing-Nikkor 105mm sale 80% off for only $199" "hurry dear sir before you miss our sale" In really horrible english. These kinds of sites must be generating a nice loads of cash for the owners.

Best,

Robert

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:06 am
I certainly expect it will, and I agree that the post before yours has some aspects that makes my Spidey-senses tingle. (Edit: I just now noticed the red-flag link. Maybe I should fill that new glasses prescription?)

Anyway for that post, none of {username,emailAddress,IPaddress} are known to StopForumSpam, the declared Interests of that new account match closely with those of PMN, and the declared location matches the IP address.

None of this is to say that it's not a chatbot, only that if it is, then we are indeed on the edge of some abyss.

--Rik

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Having played with ChatGPT over past weeks, and doing so again just now in ways that relate to the new posts in this thread, I think we are indeed on the edge of an abyss.

Perhaps we need to harden the registration process a bit more. Though doing so without making it overly cumbersome for real people might be a challenge.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic