The ingenious yet simple design of Vistek "VIB" vibration isolation feet (now Newport)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

The ingenious yet simple design of Vistek "VIB" vibration isolation feet (now Newport)

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Hi,

I received a large batch of these feet, it came out of some defunct inspection factory which housed metallurgical microscopes (I think). These feet were mounted onto a custom board that was far too heavy to ship. I obtained the feet and the mounting bracket.

Below is one of the feet disassembled. The feet itself only consist of 15 parts, 14 are shown -- 16 if the bracket is included and just 20 with its 4 screws! A soft padded adhesive feet can be added, readily available from 3M.
Three bearing balls sitting in a grooved circular base, a retainer with 3 holes, a couple housings, one screw, one washer, a piece of foam and one O-ring. Then, there is a retainer with a piece of plastic cover.
At the heart of the feet is a rather unique looking wavey spring. It is called an interlaced wave spring.

Assembly requires the bear minimum of thought.
The three bearings fall into the plastic retainer, a cylinder sits on top, wobbling around. This allows lateral movements to dampen vibrations, as long as installation is adequate. The wave spring goes in swallowing a piece of foam with a threaded cylinder swallowing it, all connected with a long shaft screw. The threaded cylinder allows levelling. Very simple! Below is a cutaway.

As long as the load is proper, the mechanical dampers will counter vibrations. Too much or too little will as expected, compromise its performance.

Out of curiosity, I purchased a set of wave springs from a Chinese company. I would like to see if I can swap the existing springs to increase the load capacity, my microscope is rather fat and very heavy.

I will report my findings some time later, I need to get a board made for the mounting brackets first. This will help a lot if simply swapping the wave spring out will increase the rated load. The aftermarket springs are not cheap, but cheaper than getting these feet used or new.

soldevilla

Re: The ingenious yet simple design of Vistek "VIB" vibration isolation feet (now Newport)

Post by soldevilla »

I am fighting vibrations on my equipment now... Working with the x20 the vibrations produced by the shutter of my Pentax, even in Liveview, are enough to show a lost of detail. I will explain here if I am successful with my tests and modifications

lothman

Re: The ingenious yet simple design of Vistek "VIB" vibration isolation feet (now Newport)

Post by lothman »

what is the task of the foam insert? to avoid rattling noise?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

lothman wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:03 am

This is also my question, I guess it would be as shock absorber to damp the elastic movement of the wavy spring like the hydraulic part of a car shock absorber.
How it works if you mount the device without the foam cylinder?
Pau

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

geee, how heavy are those leica scopes?
cant be 200-300lbs, can it?
chris

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Pau wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 am
lothman wrote:

This is also my question, I guess it would be as shock absorber to damp the elastic movement of the wavy spring like the hydraulic part of a car shock absorber.
I assume it muffles the noise a bit and absorbs some vibrations, I will try to see what happens when the foam is removed.
It could also be there to block dust build-up.

chris_ma wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:52 pm
Seller's ratings are false. Here is the model: https://www.newport.com/p/VIP320-1824-70140
The VIP320 Series vibration isolation platforms are ideal for precision applications that don't require Pneumatic isolation. Featuring passive mechanical isolators that are compact and maintenance-free, the VIP320 platforms are an affordable and effective solution for vibration sensitive instruments. The VIP320-1824-70140 is an 18 x 24 inch platform with payload range of 70 lbs (31.8 kg) to 140 lbs (63.5 kg).
The payload calculations are very tricky and Newport makes zero attempts to clarify. The payload does include the plate, which are either steel or aluminium, Newport does not indicate the material of their baseplates, which leads to higher rated feet having less combined load ratings simply because they decided to use a steel plate instead of aluminium.

https://www.newport.com/p/VIP320X2638-110360
vs.
https://www.newport.com/p/VIP320X2430-135520

The smaller platform (24x30in0 weighs a lot more than the larger one (26x38in)!

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

chris_ma wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:52 pm
Don't believe they're that heavy but I'm no expert. It also depends on the configuration/accessories. My DMIRB/E is about 80 pounds as configured.

-JW:
Attachments
Leica-DMIRBE-20220306_155146.jpg

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I pulled the foam out and did a comparison. Without the foam, the lateral movements are very violent and loud. I will conclude that the foam is a crucial component. To the uneducated thought, it dampens vibrations and makes the unit quieter, thereby also increasing its longevity.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 pm
. . . the foam. . . dampens vibrations and makes the unit quieter. . . .
Thanks for this observation, Macro_Cosmos.

Can we say that the foam removes energy from the system by placing within the springs something that reduces their bounciness by adding drag? Likely sucking energy out and converting it to heat? This echoes, I think, what Pau suggested.

--Chris S.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Chris S. wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:17 pm
Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 pm
. . . the foam. . . dampens vibrations and makes the unit quieter. . . .
Thanks for this observation, Macro_Cosmos.

Can we say that the foam removes energy from the system by placing within the springs something that reduces their bounciness by adding drag? Likely sucking energy out and converting it to heat? This echoes, I think, what Pau suggested.

--Chris S.
I believe it is too early to make a concrete conclusion, I just discovered that the length of the foam insert in both units was actually different. The one with shorter foam was considerably quieter when "nudged", movements were less violent. I will play with it more after recovering from this silly cold.

JKT

Post by JKT »

The foam can also be used to make it non-linear. Small deformations are very smooth and springy, but larger ones are opposed with higher spring factor and also damped. Its all about the system tuning and objectives.

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Pau wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 am
lothman wrote:

This is also my question, I guess it would be as shock absorber to damp the elastic movement of the wavy spring
like the hydraulic part of a car shock absorber.
This design is similar to what is/was used in some (e.g. Thorens) phonograph turntable suspensions,
where that foam was indeed intended to dampen resonances but deteriorates after some years.
Note in the original post "These feet were mounted onto a custom board that was far too heavy to ship."
High mass and low spring rate yields low resonant frequency.
Low spring rate typically requires long springs to support large mass,
and long coil springs in compression are typically unstable; springs in tension are more stable.
A work-around for some is to instead use tire inner tubes,
which are available in smaller diameters e.g. for garden tractors and go-karts.
Elastomer of heavy duty (thick wall) inner tubes provides some damping.
Spring rate can be adjusted by air inflation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic