On camera flash diffusers

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

On camera flash diffusers

Post by Cyclops »

I was thinking of getting something that's easier to use while outdoors that I can just whip out for a quick macro shot rather than fumbling with a cumbersome bracket and cable, and I saw these diffusers. They fasten with velcro. Normally they are used for portraits, the flash being bounced upwards and outwards, reducing red eye and harsh shadows, but I was thinking I could use one on my Canon flashgun while its in the hotshoe. With the flashgun in its normal flat position I imagine the diffuser would bounce the flash towards the subject.
Yay or nay?

Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

lothman

Re: On camera flash diffusers

Post by lothman »

Cyclops wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 am
Yay or nay?
yes this will work but before you invest money try a translucent paper bag fixed with a rubber band to your flash. At the close macro range you have plenty of light from your flash, you must not take care about reflector efficiency.

https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... barf-bags/

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

lothman wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 am
Cyclops wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 am
Yay or nay?
yes this will work but before you invest money try a translucent paper bag fixed with a rubber band to your flash. At the close macro range you have plenty of light from your flash, you must not take care about reflector efficiency.

https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... barf-bags/
A solution presents itself!

Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Quick test

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think a much better solution is to put a plastic diffuser (cut from a translucent gallon container of milk or alcohol or something) on the lens front ring, and aim the undiffused flash at this. This is generally better than a diffuser on the flash because it is closer to the subject and therefore covers a much wider angle of the sky from the subject's point of view.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:47 pm
I think a much better solution is to put a plastic diffuser (cut from a translucent gallon container of milk or alcohol or something) on the lens front ring, and aim the undiffused flash at this. This is generally better than a diffuser on the flash because it is closer to the subject and therefore covers a much wider angle of the sky from the subject's point of view.
So like a ring of plastic affixed to the filter thread of the lens? Not sure how I would achieve that.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Not a ring, since it doesn't need to go below the lens. Just a big flap on top and a little bit on the sides of the lens, slightly overhanging the subject. Just cut a hole in the plastic the same diameter as your lens and it will press right on and stay there if you do it right.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Not a ring, since it doesn't need to go below the lens. Just a big flap on top and a little bit on the sides of the lens, slightly overhanging the subject. Just cut a hole in the plastic the same diameter as your lens and it will press right on and stay there if you do it right.
I still need to direct the flash downwards tho. At the moment it goes out and down. I have a C shaped flash bracket and a ball and socket head but its cumbersome and the b&s head moves where it screws into the bracket

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Maybe so. But it might be wide enough to illuminate the plastic. Might be worth a try.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:17 pm
Maybe so. But it might be wide enough to illuminate the plastic. Might be worth a try.
Yea I'll look into it

JKT

Post by JKT »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:47 pm
Not likely quite what you had in mind, but similar...
Works nicely for moths in the dark when the purpose is not the absolute best in artistic style. The diffusor is cut from plastic plate. Dremeling the bajonet into it by hand is fun.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Nice, especially the modeling lights. Mine is bigger (taller) and simpler, and just snaps on and off the lens front.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

That looks cool, but far too hands on for me...

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Years ago I made a simpler diffuser based in the same idea. I still use it for casual field shots.
viewtopic.php?p=89905#p89905
Pau

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

It does make me wonder why they make flashguns with the ability to tilt upwards, for bouncing off a ceiling or reflector, but I've never seen one that tilts downwards. That would seem a logical progression to me

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic