Best Vertical Post (Thorlabs)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JKT

Re: Best Vertical Post (Thorlabs)

Post by JKT »

joshmacro wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:49 pm
I was talking about the bolt. I already have the extrusion. Bought that from Tnutz.
Would a threaded bar work?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

JKT wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:47 pm
joshmacro wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:49 pm
I was talking about the bolt. I already have the extrusion. Bought that from Tnutz.
Would a threaded bar work?
Hah! Just another mis-read I guess.

Yes, threaded rod. Hardware stores have them in 24" or 36" lengths.

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

joshmacro wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 pm
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:19 pm
Why go with Thorlabs at all? Just get an 8020 post and a long bolt and bolt it directly to the surface. You can get sufficient force between the two that it won't move. Depending on the spacing between holes, you may be able to use a double or quad and hold it down with 2 or 4 bolts.
I am looking for something that comes apart quickly and that the components can be stored away. I live in a small space. Having used aluminum extrusion, putting it together and apart was just taking me too long. To me, aluminum extrusion is a great one-time build that you can continue to add onto. But it wasn't that great for dissembling.
Can definitely recommend the XT66 rails in that case. You can see some photos of my setup here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ead#unread

Very easy to remove from the breadboard and dismantle.
- Cam

joshmacro

Post by joshmacro »

kaleun96 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:00 am
joshmacro wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 pm
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:19 pm
Why go with Thorlabs at all? Just get an 8020 post and a long bolt and bolt it directly to the surface. You can get sufficient force between the two that it won't move. Depending on the spacing between holes, you may be able to use a double or quad and hold it down with 2 or 4 bolts.
I am looking for something that comes apart quickly and that the components can be stored away. I live in a small space. Having used aluminum extrusion, putting it together and apart was just taking me too long. To me, aluminum extrusion is a great one-time build that you can continue to add onto. But it wasn't that great for dissembling.
Can definitely recommend the XT66 rails in that case. You can see some photos of my setup here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ead#unread

Very easy to remove from the breadboard and dismantle.
Hi Cam. Yes, I have it on order with Thorlabs. There's nothing on ebay at the moment and hasn't been for the last couple of months. I really liked Ray's idea, but decided to take the XT66 plunge. I was nervous about the lead time after reading your posts. However, Thorlabs has the rail in stock from one of their international warehouses so I may have got lucky. Just need to wait a few weeks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic