about Wild/leica photoeyepiece ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

Re: about Wild/leica photoeyepiece ?

Post by Pau »

Hi Milou,
At risk of being repetitive (yes, I am :D ),
- First test the direct projection approach: even if you don't have the connecting rings you can do it.
-- Set up the stereomicroscope to low magnification (better not the lower one)
-- focus a high contrast flat object like a printed paper
-- illuminate it with high enough intensity
-- set the 38mm phototube for photo
-- damp the room light
-- remove the camera lens and hold it over the phototube with live view activated, centre it and move it vertically up and down to have an image in focus.
-- taking pictures with high ISO or video could facilitate further revisions
(this is basically what I've done both with the Nikon SMZ1000 and with my Nikon AZ100 microscope to find (approximately) the primary image plane before deciding the adapters needed, not original but a pretty standard procedure)

- The ebay linked eyepiece almost for sure is the normal (low end in Wild line-up) visual eyepiece like mine and very likely like yours. Test yours with a 30mm camera lens focused to infinite* before buying. You can test it with the 30mm tube

* afocal setup, this combo will provide approximately 10 x 30 / 250= 1.2X , the typical recommendation for 4/3 sensors
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The microbehunter link is a little mangled, if you could post the full one that would help.
I somehow missed that it was a m4/3 camera (whoops! Kind of a critical detail to miss), direct projection is goijg to be the best for sure. You won't even be pushing it out of spec by much and the short flange focal distance is perfect. Dslrs usually just barely can't get low enough in normal wild/nikon phototube but it's close.

Milou

Post by Milou »

Hi Pau,
Thank you for detailed advice
I can reassure you about a possible buy of this US eyepiece : it's first especially to get more information about its optical condition and characteristics, not to buy it directly....
But as you advise, I'll before try the other options :)

The option with a normal eyepiece 15x is already used for months with the 30 mm phototube, with a compact camera (coolpix4500, focused to infinite) and results are not so good
Perhaps could I also try other eyepieces too......

Here a picture with my M7a and a 15x olympus eyepiece (Wild and generic ones are too large for my metal adapter for Coolpix4500!)
MG2198 Z purpu 6 juil 1972.jpg
Zygaena purpuralis genitalia (Burnet moth)
MG21110 A stat 6 juin 1963 M.jpg
Adscita statices (green burnet moth)

I have to clean first the 38 mm phototube wich hasn't been used during a very very long times and I 'll try it with my 4/3 camera, following your instructions!
Last edited by Milou on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Milou

Post by Milou »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:37 am
The microbehunter link is a little mangled, if you could post the full one that would help.
Sorry for that bad link
I've modified it now!

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

This appears to be the exact model https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-Wild-Hee ... 3737877494
Likely from their brief/unfortunate foray into only having one focusable ocular on the head.

Milou

Post by Milou »

Thank you Scarodactyl for the link
yes indeed, it seems to be the right one!

Milou

Post by Milou »

At least I could test an M4/3 Panasonic GX80 body adapted on a wild tube without any optical element!
I've used a D10NLC 38mm ISO camera port adapter and a Quenox C-m4/3

See here for pictures and details on the setup already used and tested :
https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 22#p115139

Results are quite good, even if I am not still very accustomed with screen functions use for this camera :wink:
Just 2 different pictures, as a first test, even if white balance and also other parameters including lights, could be improved .....
P1020767.resized.JPG
P1020775.resized.JPG
Adscita statices(Linnaeus, 1758) (Zygaenidae) femùale genitalia just mounted on a slide in water
Last edited by Milou on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

Very good. From the soft vignetting, the reduced brightness and, oh, a picture that you sent me, I tend to the notion that the camera was looking through two, stacked photo tubes. If that is so, that is helpful to me as I am thinking of doing something like that. Thank you!
– John

Milou

Post by Milou »

Thank you John
A more detailed information with pictures about this first test is given here :
https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 22#p116512

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

You're getting strong vignette, does it changes when changing magnification with the microscope zoom?
I ask it because the C-mount adapter (in fact unnecessary, although maybe convenient for getting off the shelf parts) could be the cause.
Is the camera parfocal with the visual eyepieces? Is the camera parfocal though the zoom range? (both are good indicators of the camera placed at the right distance).

In my tests with the SMZ1000 without this C-adapter restriction I didn't get vignette with the APSC sensor except at the lower zoom magnification, although they are different instruments
Pau

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

These results do look worse than what the scope should deliver (especially considering the wider, unvignetted field seen by the coolpix in the microbehunter thread). I imagine stacking two photo tubes isn't helping matters.

Milou

Post by Milou »

@Pau
yes M8 is well parfocal and camera also
@scarodactyl
yes your are right about tubes stacking as in fact I didn't open again diaphragm in coolpix one!

I 've made other tests, just with one photo tube on the M8, with a small coin and 2 lateral lights from a KL1500, just to test about vignette
I also test with completely open and closed Wild tube diaphragm

Some pictures at low, medium and high magnification (50x) with closed diaphragm, show very low vignette comparing with previous genitalia shots :wink:
P1020811.resized.JPG
P1020821.resized.JPG
P1020824.resized.JPG

In fact the C-mount adapter seems not to create vignette as in previous genitalia shots.

But perhaps another kind of adapter with a larger hole than c-mount could do better?
I didn't found a flat M4/3 ring to fix on a 38mm tube, but a thin M4/3- T2 (36 mm inside diameter) adapter could be fixed on a 38mm tube with 36mm top.....

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Pau wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:56 pm
[...]
I've taken the liberty of heavily processing the image levels to show the engraved info. Still not readable but present.
It says "10x/21" on the rubber guard of my specimen (which I purchased mounted in the photo tube of a Wild M420). It also says "Wild Heerbrugg 10x/21" on the barrel. It is identical in all respects to the specimen discussed in this thread.
--ES

Milou

Post by Milou »

thank you enricosavazzi
A picture of this eyepiece I'm looking for is given here :
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44302

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Milou wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:17 am
thank you enricosavazzi
A picture of this eyepiece I'm looking for is given here :
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44302
Yes, it is the one I have. Unfortunately I am not planning to sell it (unless perhaps with the complete M420, which also has Makrozoom objective 6.3-32x, 0.5x and 1.5x auxiliary lenses, photo tube and a few other accessories).
http://savazzi.net/photography/wild_leica_m420.htm
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic