3D-printed RMS adapter for Sony, Canon, Pentax, Nikon cameras for 4x macro

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

thenickdude

3D-printed RMS adapter for Sony, Canon, Pentax, Nikon cameras for 4x macro

Post by thenickdude »

Hey all,

I had been shooting in the 1x-3x realm using mostly 50mm lenses on extension tubes, but I had been getting tired of the large-diameter of the front of the lens and the tube itself, which pushed leaves out the way, blocked the light, and generally disturbed my subjects. So I designed and 3D-printed a slimline RMS adapter for Canon EF/EF-S, Sony E/FE, Nikon F and Pentax M42 cameras:

USfVoWL.jpg
nuqbYz7.jpg
At the tip this narrows to be basically just the diameter of the objective itself, which makes it considerably smaller than typical flat or even conical adapter setups.

I've been using it with the Amscope Plan 4x objective, and even without considering the cheap price of this objective ($20) the performance has been remarkable, with absolutely minimal vignetting or chromatic aberration, good resolution and contrast across the frame, and I've seen no problems with flare. Going forward I think I'll be using this objective rather than lenses on extension tubes!

I have a small gallery of photos I've taken using this here:

https://imgur.com/a/2rUz2U8

You download the files to 3D-print your own copy of the extension tube here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5130912
Last edited by thenickdude on Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ray_parkhurst

Re: 3D-printed RMS adapter for Sony and Canon cameras for 4x macro

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Nice pics. Looks like either the shape of the extension or the "ribbed" internals are doing a good job of minimizing reflections. Or did you also add some flocking, or paint the inside, or ? The cone-shaped adapters generally need these treatments. Yours is more like a long RMS extension tube so maybe that is better for reflections. In any case, the pics have good contrast and no hotspot so "good job".

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Very slick! Though it does add some cost, it might make sense to have threaded ends to allow an m42 helicoid to be added to the stack, though I don't know how much this particular objective tolerates different extensions.

thenickdude

Post by thenickdude »

This one is only ribbed, no flocking. Painting would be a good idea on the PETG version I printed because it's pretty shiny (performance already seems fine with the ribs though). The ABS one I printed is matte enough that it probably outperforms paint already.

The internal cavity is round at the objective end, and this smoothly expands over the length of the tube to a rounded rectangle shape to match the sensor at the camera end. The goal was to eliminate any sharp profile transitions and to hug the light cone to maximise the scattering applied to off-axis light.

An M42 mount at the camera end could be interesting for slipping in other adapters. EDIT: I've now added an M42 version
Last edited by thenickdude on Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thenickdude

Post by thenickdude »

Here's a comparison of the surface finish of the PETG and ABS versions:

PXL_20211114_084500188.jpg
And here's a cutaway showing the smooth transitional shape of the internal cavity and the ribbing:

cutaway.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Note also the discussion at https://www.dpreview.com/news/653806495 ... newsletter .

Same material, different audience.

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

This is excellent, and offers a way to try this sort of lens at minimal cost. In fact, since my oldest son is a 3-D printing guru, the adapters would be pretty much free! Thank you for doing this!
The ribbed internals suggest to me that flocking would not hold on very well. But that does not seem necessary anyway.
A threaded M42 insert might offer a way to do focus stacking by minute turns.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

physicsmajor

Post by physicsmajor »

Would you consider making a Nikon F mount variant?

thenickdude

Post by thenickdude »

There's one designed by Kajashey here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5155122

I'm not sure what the internal reflection performance is like, but I suspect it'll need flocking added to perform well.

I think I could design one too. Do you have a crop sensor or full frame?

thenickdude

Re: 3D-printed RMS adapter for Sony, Canon, Pentax, Nikon cameras for 4x macro

Post by thenickdude »

I've now added versions for full-frame and crop Nikon F mount cameras. However these need more testing on modern Nikon cameras (I only tested it on the Nikon F (1959) which probably misses mount features found in newer cameras). Be sure to check the printed mount doesn't jam against newly-invented mount structures.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5130912

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic