Telling a bad second-hand Mitutoyo from a good one

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: How good are alternatives (clones) to Mitutoyo lenses

Post by Chris S. »

Also, I've wondered about Lightglass Optics, as I looked at their site in past months when I began my search, but I couldn't find any BBB reviews, and I thought it disconcerting that they mentioned their Customer Service availability is somewhat limited;
Lightglass Optics’ customer service is fine. It appears to me that the outfit is a one-man show, and likely that man’s sideline business. He will get back to you and treat you fairly, but it’s not a big-time operation where operators are standing by. The upside of this is that his overhead is likely low, and his prices reflect it.

Edmund Optics is a first-class, Tiffany-level provider of optics and related items. If they ever sell items that are not new—I don’t know if they do—you can be assured that this will be clearly disclosed in the offering. They do have customer service engineers standing by, who are very knowledgeable and helpful. Their prices, unsurprisingly, are not in the bargain region. I’ve purchased quite a few items from Edmund Optics, and spoken with support engineers—it’s an excellent source when your use case warrants.

Also consider Thorlabs, which, like Edmund Optics, is an excellent, full-service supplier of optics and other scientific items. They also have very good support engineers, and in many cases, their prices are a bit lower than Edmund Optics (although their house-brand opto-mechanical items are also a bit less jewel-like than EO). Just now, some of EO’s Mitutoyo objectives are priced a bit lower than Thorlabs, but this has not always been the case, and may not be in the future.

Lightglass Optics is normally a seller of second-hand items. How he acquired a large number of apparently new 5x objectives would be an interesting story. Edmund Optics and Thorlabs are, I’m pretty sure, both official Mitutoyo vendors.

Like Scarodactyl, I wouldn’t despise eBay as a place to find a nice Mitutoyo objective at a bargain price. I’ve tested many Mitutoyo objectives for forum members, the majority of them from eBay. Your odds of getting a good specimen may be 40-60 percent. This is why it’s vital to have a return privilege and test the objective. But the upside is that you can save a lot of money.
Barrelcactusaddict wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:52 pm
Were those mostly issues with chromatic aberration? I'd love to know what issues would be of most significance to look out for when inspecting the performance of an objective.
The issues in a bad specimen are almost never chromatic aberration. It’s mostly a decrease in contrast, an increase in fuzziness in fine features of the test subject, or an unevenness in the sharpness of those features when comparing the corners and sides of the image. Less often, you may see highlights near the edges appear stretched or star-like. At this level of comparison, you will soon find that there are legitimate differences between any two lenses, even new ones of the same model from the same factory; they are like snowflakes, with no two alike. For example, one good specimen may have a touch more contrast but a little bit more false color than another good specimen. These lenses are hand assembled, and despite high standards of quality control, their many elements have a surprising degree of variability from one to another. Clearly, the artisans who build these objectives by hand make tradeoffs as they do so.

To test an objective to see if it is a good or bad specimen, here is what I think one needs to do: Compare a stacked-focus image taken with the unknown lens against exactly the same image taken with a known-good lens. Nothing should be changed between these images, other than the objective lens; the manner of lighting and the subject position must be exactly identical. The test rig should be very solid and capable repeatable results. The test subject should be chosen for having detail around the resolution limit for the objective in question. The lighting should be such that the entire aperture of the objective is utilized. The stacks should be done such that the tester “focuses through” the test subject, to include images in front of and in back of the test target, to minimize potential for focus error and influence of field curvature (which is a concern in traditional microscopy, but isn’t of much importance to focus-stackers).

Then layer the two images in Photoshop. Align them in Photoshop so that the views are perfectly overlapping, or as near to perfectly overlapping as possible. (This is needed because most objectives project somewhat differently onto the sensor—higher, lower, left or right; it may still not be perfect because objectives commonly magnify slightly above or below their rated magnification.) Then the tester begins a process of “flashing” the upper layer on and off, to permit careful, repeated comparison of images made by the two objectives. Zoom in, during this process, and pixel-peep.

See why I said you need “some idiot” to do it for you? :wink: Or why I don’t think it practical for discount sellers of used objectives to routinely do it?

--Chris S.

PS: Lothar, I fear we are hijacking your interesting and useful thread. Perhaps we should split this topic?

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

mjkzz wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:45 pm
The reason I went for the mitty 5x is that I read a post here (I think Chris S. wrote it) about a 50x mitty and it performed so well even though it had a large ding on the front element.
Yes, it was I, and there were four dings in the front element!

Here was that post: Mitutoyo 50x with chips in glass, tested. (Barrelcactusaddict, in addition to Rik's thread, you might want to read this one as well, as it gives a window into objective testing.)

--Chris S.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

By "performance" you mean chromatic aberration? I'm curious to know if that's the main thing to look for when spotting optical issues with microscope objectives (or at least, the most important).
I had a SL50x with NA of 0.42 at the time, I set it up on a 100mm so I get 25X, did a stack and then compared with the 20x (also 0.42NA). The subject was a piece of paper (lot of fiber in detail) with ink jet printing on it. It seemed that the image done with the 20x lacks a lot of details, I did not think it is the magnification making me think that way (higher mag appears to have more details, but only to some extent). Also, some CA that is not characteristic of a Mitutoyo. So I returned it.

Barrelcactusaddict

Post by Barrelcactusaddict »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:10 pm
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:52 pm
Were those mostly issues with chromatic aberration? I'd love to know what issues would be of most significance to look out for when inspecting the performance of an objective.
The usual complaints that I see reported for used objectives are not CA, but lack of sharpness and related aberrations, often due to decentering.

See viewtopic.php?t=20594 for my one personal experience.

--Rik
Thank you, Rik! Yes, your article was actually the first one I read when I started my search months ago (was looking to see how Mitutoyo compared to other top brands); your article definitely gave me a better feel for how well the Mitutoyo objectives perform. :)

I don't plan on using anything higher than a 5x objective with a 200mm lens (around 20x resultant MF) on an APS-C sensor; I'll be using it on biological subjects (inclusions in fossil amber), so depending on the subject, sharpness would really be a concern. I suppose it would be fairly easy to notice such issues when paying attention to setae or other fine details on a specimen; maybe I'll be all right, I'll just have to select the right specimen.

Excellent advice, thank you Chris and Rik! I forgot to mention that I still haven't purchased an image-stacking software license, and I'm thinking of going with Helicon Focus (Zerene looks nice, too, but I've seen more mentioned use of the former in research publications).

I opted to avoid the cost of purchasing an additional 2x objective for use with my 200mm lens, and instead am planning on using an SMC Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 lens with just the single 5x objective. I'm hoping this will work well, at least I believe it should in theory. Most of my fossilized subjects are between 2mm and 10mm in length, so it'll be important to have a bit of variation in magnification.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

Chris S. wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:45 pm
mjkzz wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:45 pm
The reason I went for the mitty 5x is that I read a post here (I think Chris S. wrote it) about a 50x mitty and it performed so well even though it had a large ding on the front element.
Yes, it was I, and there were four dings in the front element!

Here was that post: Mitutoyo 50x with chips in glass, tested. (Barrelcactusaddict, in addition to Rik's thread, you might want to read this one as well, as it gives a window into objective testing.)

--Chris S.
Yes, this is the post!!! And it is THE post that I kinda ignore appearance and little scratches on the front BECAUSE normally seller do not try to hide these defects (as they can not fix it). The bad "good looking 20x" made me think that sellers either do not know how to test what they sell or they can hide the fact it was returned by some other customer.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Excellent advice, thank you Chris and Rik! I forgot to mention that I still haven't purchased an image-stacking software license, and I'm thinking of going with Helicon Focus (Zerene looks nice, too, but I've seen more mentioned use of the former in research publications).
I find irony in the above, in that Rik is the author of Zerene Stacker. As can be inferred from the quality of Rik's posts here, the support he provides to users of Zerene Stacker is outstanding.

--Chris S.

Barrelcactusaddict

Chris S. wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 pm
I find irony in the above, in that Rik is the author of Zerene Stacker. As can be inferred from the quality of Rik's posts here, the support he provides to users of Zerene Stacker is outstanding.

--Chris S.
Well, I certainly put my foot in it. I'm sorry, I didn't know; I meant no offense. :(

I'm still not completely sure which one to go with, as I've heard great reviews about both; I'm mostly concerned with how user-friendly either one is and what the minimum system requirements are for Zerene. I've never used stacking software before, and all I have is a mid-2007 20" iMac (which I'm using at the moment), which I hope to dedicate for use with my setup.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D You certainly haven't put your foot in anything. I was mainly razzing Rik.

I'd suggest you download both programs, using their free trials, and see which you like best. As for ease of use, the Zerene Stacker support pages have very good tutorials. I haven't looked at Helicon Focus in some years, but suspect that it likely has tutorials, too.

Modern stacking software is actually pretty easy to use. And just wait 'til you see what it lets you do!

Whichever program you end up going with, you're getting off easy. Some of us started with Alan Hadley's CombineZ, and were glad to have it. But then, we had to hike to school in the snow, uphill both ways, walking on our hands to save shoe leather. . . .

--Chris S.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 pm
Well, I certainly put my foot in it. I'm sorry, I didn't know; I meant no offense. :(
Well, I for one am smiling. No offense taken, no apologies necessary. :D

Here is a recent response that I gave to an interviewer regarding the question that you're asking:
Periodically people ask me why they should choose Zerene Stacker versus Helicon Focus. I tell them that "Helicon Focus runs faster on the computer, it accepts RAW files directly into the user interface (and converts them to TIFF in the background), and some people like the user interface better. In favor of Zerene Stacker is that it provides retouching at all price points (where with Helicon you need the more expensive versions), Zerene Stacker provides more control for reducing halos with depth map methods, Zerene Stacker does a much better job in some specialized areas such as stereo pairs of complex subjects, and users who are experienced with both products generally find that they can get an equal or better product with less human time by using Zerene Stacker. Users who have both products tell me that they often run Helicon Focus on all their stacks to get a quick look for deciding which stacks are worth finishing, then switch to Zerene Stacker to make the final product. If you have to choose only one software, then the best choice depends on your goals. If your primary emphasis is quick processing of many stacks then Helicon Focus is the better choice; if your concern is more for highest quality in the final product, then Zerene Stacker is probably better. Some people also appreciate that support for Zerene Stacker is always provided by the software's author, who also shoots stacks from landscapes down to sub-millimeter subjects and is happy to help with issues of optics and illumination."
One more issue, very important in some communities, is that Helicon Focus is available in multiple languages. Zerene Stacker, like me, speaks only English.

As you might expect, most of the research people that I talk with tend to prefer Zerene Stacker. That's why they're talking to me. But I have no trouble believing that Helicon Focus is more common in some communities. To the extent that is not an accident of history, I imagine it's due to different priorities regarding the issues noted above.

By the way, and by policy, photomacrography.net is strictly agnostic about choice of software. If you do decide to go with Helicon Focus then you will still be among friends here, and if you have questions about how to get the best results from it, then the odds are good that I'll be one of the people who answers.

--Rik

Barrelcactusaddict

Chris S. wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:57 pm
Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D You certainly haven't put your foot in anything. I was mainly razzing Rik.

I'd suggest you download both programs, using their free trials, and see which you like best. As for ease of use, the Zerene Stacker support pages have very good tutorials. I haven't looked at Helicon Focus in some years, but suspect that it likely has tutorials, too.

Modern stacking software is actually pretty easy to use. And just wait 'til you see what it lets you do!

Whichever program you end up going with, you're getting off easy. Some of us started with Alan Hadley's CombineZ, and were glad to have it. But then, we had to hike to school in the snow, uphill both ways, walking on our hands to save shoe leather. . . .

--Chris S.
Thank you, that is very reassuring! I'll be sure to revisit the tutorial pages and study up on the basics of the softwares before I make a final decision; I don't think I'll be able to download both at the same time, though (my computer's of an advanced age, and prone to near-overheating :lol: ).

Most definitely, I cannot wait to get started with producing processed images of my specimens; I have one very strange specimen in Myanmar amber (looks like a Cantharidae beetle that's missing its elytra), too, that would make identification a lot easier for the paleobiologist I send the images to. My little BeLomo 10x loupe isn't cutting it with all the eye-strain, and it will be nice to visually document my collection. :)

I've said it before, but I cannot say enough how much I appreciate everyone's advice and experience here! You all make a world of difference, I am learning so much, and am so glad to be a part of the community. :D

Barrelcactusaddict

rjlittlefield wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:11 pm
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 pm
Well, I for one am smiling. No offense taken, no apologies necessary. :D

Here is a recent response that I gave to an interviewer regarding the question that you're asking:
Periodically people ask me why they should choose Zerene Stacker versus Helicon Focus. I tell them that "Helicon Focus runs faster on the computer, it accepts RAW files directly into the user interface (and converts them to TIFF in the background), and some people like the user interface better. In favor of Zerene Stacker is that it provides retouching at all price points (where with Helicon you need the more expensive versions), Zerene Stacker provides more control for reducing halos with depth map methods, Zerene Stacker does a much better job in some specialized areas such as stereo pairs of complex subjects, and users who are experienced with both products generally find that they can get an equal or better product with less human time by using Zerene Stacker. Users who have both products tell me that they often run Helicon Focus on all their stacks to get a quick look for deciding which stacks are worth finishing, then switch to Zerene Stacker to make the final product. If you have to choose only one software, then the best choice depends on your goals. If your primary emphasis is quick processing of many stacks then Helicon Focus is the better choice; if your concern is more for highest quality in the final product, then Zerene Stacker is probably better. Some people also appreciate that support for Zerene Stacker is always provided by the software's author, who also shoots stacks from landscapes down to sub-millimeter subjects and is happy to help with issues of optics and illumination."
One more issue, very important in some communities, is that Helicon Focus is available in multiple languages. Zerene Stacker, like me, speaks only English.

As you might expect, most of the research people that I talk with tend to prefer Zerene Stacker. That's why they're talking to me. But I have no trouble believing that Helicon Focus is more common in some communities. To the extent that is not an accident of history, I imagine it's due to different priorities regarding the issues noted above.

By the way, and by policy, photomacrography.net is strictly agnostic about choice of software. If you do decide to go with Helicon Focus then you will still be among friends here, and if you have questions about how to get the best results from it, then the odds are good that I'll be one of the people who answers.

--Rik
Thank you so much, Rik, I'm glad it's alright!

That's an excellent response and answers many of my questions! I believe I'm more concerned with image quality than quantity, and I love the fact that support is so much more accessible and direct with your software. I'll definitely do more research and preparation, to make sure my transition to stacking software is as smooth as possible; I cannot wait to get started!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

(my computer's of an advanced age, and prone to near-overheating :lol: )
I've fixed a lot of Windows machines, only rarely Macs, and never an iMac. But my guess is your near-overheating is caused either by internal heat sinks being clogged by dust, or by those heat sinks needing better thermal conductivity with the heat sources they are attempting to cool.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you can probably fix this problem yourself without much trouble. Look for a video on disassembly of your computer--you will likely even find videos that specifically address fixing overheating issues. Then remove any dust from the heatsinks--dust on these may thick and dense, like felt. If you find and remove such dust, there is good chance you've solved your heat problem. If not, get a tube of heat sink paste (under $10); detach the heat sinks from their heat sources; clean off the old heat sink paste, and carefully apply new paste. (There are lots of videos on this.) It's likely, after this, that your iMac will not have heat problems.

--Chris S.

Barrelcactusaddict

Chris S. wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:40 pm
(my computer's of an advanced age, and prone to near-overheating :lol: )
I've fixed a lot of Windows machines, only rarely Macs, and never an iMac. But my guess is your near-overheating is caused either by internal heat sinks being clogged by dust, or by those heat sinks needing better thermal conductivity with the heat sources they are attempting to cool.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you can probably fix this problem yourself without much trouble. Look for a video on disassembly of your computer--you will likely even find videos that specifically address fixing overheating issues. Then remove any dust from the heatsinks--dust on these may thick and dense, like felt. If you find and remove such dust, there is good chance you've solved your heat problem. If not, get a tube of heat sink paste (under $10); detach the heat sinks from their heat sources; clean off the old heat sink paste, and carefully apply new paste. (There are lots of videos on this.) It's likely, after this, that your iMac will not have heat problems.

--Chris S.
That's a great idea, I hadn't before thought of doing that to my iMac; now that you mention it, I'm sure it has to be dust, as my previous home's air in Wisconsin was chock full of it, unfortunately.

Actually, with as old as my computer is, not much could be lost by giving it a go; funny thing, visiting Apple's website a year ago, I checked to see how much it was worth as a trade-in, and a page came up saying it's worth nada, but they'd be willing to recycle it if I shipped it to them! :D

I had done a heat sink mod (and an internal fan cleaning) on a Nintendo Switch console a couple years ago, so I actually have some thermal paste and a few conductive silicone pads of varying thickness left over. I'll definitely look into this!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Chris S. work-in-progress as split to Lothman's thread

Post by Chris S. »

Placeholder post, to be filled in

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic