Camera Microscope Adaptor?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AlP

Camera Microscope Adaptor?

Post by AlP »

Hi, all. Newbie again to the microscope world. I recently bought a Parko PA-5FZ trinocular zoom stereo microscope which looks like a clone of a Swift, Amscope, Walter, etc. After, I bought a OMAX 14 megapixel digital camera for the microscope which is a piece of junk (or a really bad copy). I've decided I'll just go with a dslr, a Canon 5D Mk IV full frame. I gather I need an adaptor with a 2.5x relay lens. Most of the stuff I have seen seems to be from China and rebranded twenty four different ways (me thinks junk with loss of sharpness, contrast and added CA). I have found some higher (?) end adaptors from VariMag II, LM, MeCan. Of course, no reviews or anything on the web regarding these products except for their own web page. So, as there has probably been a lot of discussion in this forum regarding adaptors in the past, I would like to know from personal experience which is better and best adaptors. I know, the relay lens is only one part in the optical chain. My thought process is, microscopes will come and go but the adaptor is staying. The microscope is not my primary photography tool. It's just that if I see something, I want to take a quality snap of it. Thanx for any help.

Adalbert

Re: Camera Microscope Adaptor?

Post by Adalbert »

Hi,
Canon 5D Mk IV is definitely a good choice.
The relay lens should have a focal length of about 63mm for FF cameras.
I use the Helios 58mm (it is used with the eyepiece).
Best, ADi

AlP

Re: Camera Microscope Adaptor?

Post by AlP »

Adalbert wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 am
Hi,
Canon 5D Mk IV is definitely a good choice.
The relay lens should have a focal length of about 63mm for FF cameras.
I use the Helios 58mm (it is used with the eyepiece).
Best, ADi
I am looking at something for attaching at the trinocular port. I have a Helios 58mm. It is my "bokeh babe" lens, nice swirly bokeh wide open with the right background. No contrast, no sharpness off centre and strong vignette wide open. I use it mostly for fashion and portraiture.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic