How good are alternatives (clones) to Mitutoyo lenses

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lothman

Re: How good are alternatives (clones) to Mitutoyo lenses

Post by lothman »

dolmadis wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:25 am
lothman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:53 am

Has anybody also bougth a lens from this vendor? Is any body considering to do so in the future?

regards Lothar
Yes, I am/was considering the 5x as it happens.

Have you gone direct to Jerry? Or via the Selling Site?

I would be interested to see/hear how the 10x performs at 100mm pushed down to 5x though.

Best, John
I asked Jerry direct.
You can take my 61Mpix full frame, shrink it to APS-C and downsample to your pixelnumber ;-) probably this will bring a better result than taking a 100mm tube lens and a smaller sensor.

Edit: those are the prices for forum members when contacting Jerry:
5X NA 0.15 USD255 + shipping cost
10X NA0.3 USD429 + shipping cost
20X NA0.3 USD580 + shipping cost
20X NA0.45 USD698 + shipping cost
50X NA0.45 USD799+ shipping cost
50X NA0.65 USD1099 + shipping cost

ploum

Post by ploum »

Hello,

for forum it's a 20 % discount i suppose ?

I have written for try a 2x 0.06 :)

Fred
I work with a manfrotto 454 but uncommon system :).
Objectives : BW APO PLAN 5x, Mitutoyo APO PLAN 7.5x, 10x, 20x and 50x, Seiwa APO PLAN 20x, BW APO PLAN 20x, Seiwa APO PLAN 10x, Nikon CF PLAN 50x, componon APO 40 mm, Componon 50 mm, Componon S 80 mm, Componon 105 mm, Componon 150 mm, Rodagon 135 mm.....

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Mmm the 5x is particularly cheap. I'm also curious about the 2x--if it somehow beat out the mitty it would be a very convenient lens.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:20 am
I'm also curious about the 2x--if it somehow beat out the mitty it would be a very convenient lens.
So am I - just waiting for someone to take the chance. :) Ploum's idea would also work...
Last edited by JKT on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lothman

Post by lothman »

JKT wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:55 am
So am I - just waiting for someone to take the chance. :) Ploum's idea would also work...
I have the 5x on order, will check against a Mity and the Laowa 2,5-5x

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

Does anyone have some news in this case? Does anyone compare Mitutoyo 20x 0.42 against 20x 0.45 objective on FF? Thanks.
canon EOS *

lothman

Post by lothman »

jurkovicovic wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:03 am
Does anyone have some news in this case? Does anyone compare Mitutoyo 20x 0.42 against 20x 0.45 objective on FF? Thanks.
The 5x was shipped last week, I will report when I have tested it.
regards
Lothar

P.S.: beside me, did anyone buy a lens from Jerry?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I'm waiting a bit more but thinking of the 5x and 10x to complete a set.

ploum

Post by ploum »

Hello, I received the 2x 0.06. Jerry has done his job well and the transaction is fine. However my system unfortunately does not support this lens ... It is unsuitable for an FF and the image circle is small. The quality of the image is also inferior to what I would expect. A well-made componon will do the job just as much. I hope for you that the other lenses will be better. I have a BW optic 5x 0.14. It is quite satisfactory for the same uses. It is therefore difficult to judge thus. At the moment I don't want to try another one unless Jerry sends it first;). I also have a seiwa (?) 10x 0.23. It has a great working distance and is superior to the mitutoyo 10x 0.28 that I have (good quality at the edges of the image). Like what everything is possible according to the generations and the optical couplings. I also have a 20x 0.40 seiwa. It is similar to the mitutoyo 20x 0.42 with a large image with just a little worse chromatic correction.
I work with a manfrotto 454 but uncommon system :).
Objectives : BW APO PLAN 5x, Mitutoyo APO PLAN 7.5x, 10x, 20x and 50x, Seiwa APO PLAN 20x, BW APO PLAN 20x, Seiwa APO PLAN 10x, Nikon CF PLAN 50x, componon APO 40 mm, Componon 50 mm, Componon S 80 mm, Componon 105 mm, Componon 150 mm, Rodagon 135 mm.....

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

ploum wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:19 pm
Hello, I received the 2x 0.06. Jerry has done his job well and the transaction is fine. However my system unfortunately does not support this lens ... It is unsuitable for an FF and the image circle is small. The quality of the image is also inferior to what I would expect. A well-made componon will do the job just as much. I hope for you that the other lenses will be better. I have a BW optic 5x 0.14. It is quite satisfactory for the same uses. It is therefore difficult to judge thus. At the moment I don't want to try another one unless Jerry sends it first;). I also have a seiwa (?) 10x 0.23. It has a great working distance and is superior to the mitutoyo 10x 0.28 that I have (good quality at the edges of the image). Like what everything is possible according to the generations and the optical couplings. I also have a 20x 0.40 seiwa. It is similar to the mitutoyo 20x 0.42 with a large image with just a little worse chromatic correction.
Are you familiar with the Mitutoyo 2x? Anything below 5x on microscope objectives will generally be handily outperformed by other options because of the necessity of these lenses maintaining parfocality with higher mag objectives, but the mitutoyo 2x in particular is not a very good performer at all in terms of lateral CA. The hope for this 2x wouldn't be amazing performance so much as an improvement on the mitutoyo, which in spite of its flaws is still convenient because of its parfocality. If you wouldn't mind posting a couple of sample pictures it would be extremely handy.
Just to give an idea, this is a corner crop from the mitutoyo 2x on aps-c, not sure if I ever posted these test results:
It's rough, but I still use it as a finder and occasionally take photos when I want a really wide field. I just got a 1x which I'm hoping to compare once my scope is set up again, but knowing how this option compares would be great too.

lothman

Post by lothman »

update from these days

I got another 10x and a 5x Version from Jerry. While the 10x was as excellent as my previous version I'm sorry to tell that the 5x version can not hold up against a Mitutoyo 5x. After conversation with Jerry it was supposed that the 5x was defektive and he provided another copy of the 5x lens (V2). This one was slightly better that the first version (V1) but still in the corners of fullframe (Sony A7r4, Raynox tube lens) the Mitutoyo was much better. So I can recommend the 10x but not the 5x.

best regards and all the best in 2022
Lothar

overview
Mity_5x_crop_spots.jpg
center
center crop.jpg
top left
top left crop.jpg

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Thanks, that's really interesting--too bad but good to know. I'll admit I've wondered if the 10x might be easier to copy. The motic and seiwa and even the badly delaminated usmc 10x objectives I have tried were all surprisingly good performers.

Any chance you could possibly show an aps-c corner? It's clear even in the center that these aren't as good as the mitutoyo but it could still be a good alternative in some cases if the aps-c corner is OK.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

What is the field number of these? Presumably 30mm just like the Mitutoyo?
If that is the case, then using them on a full-frame camera (Fn=43.3mm) is pushing it. The "alternative" may as well perform completely and adequately within specifications when it comes to a 30mm circle.

Magenta = 30mm, yellow = aps-c, black = full-frame and its large circle.
field.jpg
This only means Mitutoyo objectives are alright when it comes to the far corners of a 43mm circle, the alternatives do not boast such tolerance.

lothman

Post by lothman »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Any chance you could possibly show an aps-c corner? It's clear even in the center that these aren't as good as the mitutoyo but it could still be a good alternative in some cases if the aps-c corner is OK.
old 5x lens
http://www.lolux.de/Lothar/Jerry_5x_com ... 20PMax.jpg

new 5x lens

Mitutoyo 5x lens

same target but older shot Laowa 2,5-5x
http://www.lolux.de/Lothar/Jerry_5x_com ... 8_PMax.jpg

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Thanks, I made this.
I would say the newer copy is on the same level as the Mitutoyo and clearly better than the older one. I brightened the Mitutoyo a little to not penalise the "Mitutoyo alternative".
Are they really brandless?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic