Reverse mounting Minolta CE 30mm f/2.8 lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

sapstar

Reverse mounting Minolta CE 30mm f/2.8 lens

Post by sapstar »

Just got a Minolta CE 30mm f/2.8 enlarger lens. It doesn't have any filter threads, I was able to put a little duct tape around a 49mm side of a 49-52mm adapter and do a friction fit to the lens. Is there a better way of reverse mounting this lens?

dickb

Re: Reverse mounting Minolta CE 30mm f/2.8 lens

Post by dickb »

If you don't mind losing access to the aperture ring you could always mount it with its M39 mount. For instance my combination of rings would be M39-M42, M42-M58, M58 helicoid, M58-Sony E. You just need tubes with enough internal diameter to accomodate the lens.

If you want mount the lens to its threadless front you will need some kind of clamping system, be it duct tape, teflon tape or a more sophisticated ring from RAF cameras for instance.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

For a lightweight lens, I always just epoxy an appropriate step-up or step-down ring on the lens.

sapstar

Post by sapstar »

Thanks for the response. I will superglue the 49-52mm on the front. This seems to be the cheapest solution for now.... Found this adapter, but is quite expensive.
https://rafcamera.com/clamp-51mm-to-m52x0-75f

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I don't know if suoer glue is as good as a good epoxy. And I definitely need some working time to get things perfect. I would not use super glue.

sapstar

Post by sapstar »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:43 pm
I don't know if suoer glue is as good as a good epoxy. And I definitely need some working time to get things perfect. I would not use super glue.
Thanks for your input. I never used epoxy before. Just ordered some. Will give it a try :D.

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

My experiences with superglue on hard surfaces have been from kinda ok to really bad.
Epoxy on the other hand is the real stuff :)
chris

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Keep superglue away of lenses!
It produces vapors that tend to condense on the nearby surfaces and are hard to remove. This can be fatal for the lens surface.
Pau

Antal

Post by Antal »

Hotglue is way enough, fast and won't hurt the lens.
If there is a ris of lightleaking trough the glue, just paint it black with a edding..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic