0/-/+ order for focus bracketing

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

0/-/+ order for focus bracketing

Post by rjlittlefield »

I recently learned from a Zerene Stacker support request that the Panasonic Lumix G9 camera provides a focus bracketing mode that starts in the middle and works its way to both ends, swinging focus in wider and wider intervals as the sequence proceeds.

When processed by Zerene Stacker in natural order by file name, this results in scale changing like this:

LumixG9AlternatiingFocus.jpg

It will come as no surprise that the resulting stacked output is "somewhat degraded". DMap would be trash, of course, but even PMax suffers away from center focus because image alignment becomes inaccurate when the images look too much different from each other.

The ordering problem is easily solved by doing a File > "Re-order input files" > "Sort by Scale", then repeating the PMax and/or DMap.

But now I am curious...

I was not aware that the G9 had this feature, and I am not aware of other cameras that have it either.

The feature seems useful for field work, since it allows to start the sequence with a well focused shot or short stack that is still useful even if the subject moves at some point during shooting.

Do other cameras have this feature also? Or is it unique to some models of Panasonic?

--Rik

Edited to add: the feature is described on page 143 of the "Owner’s Manual for advanced features Digital Camera Model No. DC-G9", for example at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/ ... f#page=143 .

palea

Re: 0/-/+ order for focus bracketing

Post by palea »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:58 am
Do other cameras have this feature also? Or is it unique to some models of Panasonic?
It's common to Panasonic firmware and not a G9 specific thing. So also G85, G95, G100, GH5, GH5s, S5, S1, S1H, S1R, almost certainly the pending GH5 II, GH6, and presumably any further models. Offhand, I don't think video models like the BGH1 have it.

To my knowledge Fuji, Olympus, and Nikon only implement what Panasonic calls 0/+ bracketing. I haven't checked Canon or Sony's manuals.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Rik,
I have a Canon EOS M6 Mark II that can only go from the starting point to infinity of the photo lens.
This simple rule makes it easy to use focus bracketing with the microscope lenses.
And I have no idea what the Panasonic feature would be good for.
BTW, I like the FB from Magic-Lantern
Best, ADi

Troels

Post by Troels »

That is an interesting feature.
I think it could indeed be useful when doing handhold focus bracketing in the field. For example photographing a butterfly or dragonfly from one side: You focus on the eye and the wings on both sides get their sharp exposures. On the other hand it is waste of pictures if the angle of view is frontal.

I know for sure that the Olympus focus bracketing implementation only works from the focus distance and towards infinity. But choosing the in camera stacking function adds a few exposures in front of the initial focus distance before starting the backwards travel, which is then very limited in number.
I imagine the Panasonic concept would be rather confusing when you need to find a specific exposure among 200 while retouching in Zerene Stacker (if you don't rearrange the picture order).

Troels
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic