Options on a Nikon Optiphot stand

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dolmadis

Options on a Nikon Optiphot stand

Post by dolmadis »

Hi All

I need some help/ideas please with adding an adhoc bottom lighting option with condenser to a Nikon Optiphot Epi Stand.

(Optiphot bare stands with transmitted light options are rare on this side of the pond)

Not using greater than a 40X objective.

As a reference I would refer you to one of Lou's photos posted here.

download/file.php?id=3692

Further has anyone added a 200mm achromat under the head of a finite Nikon like this for use with an infinite lens rather than a camera lens? 

Thank you for all ideas and recommendations.

Best , John

Saul

Re: Options on a Nikon Optiphot stand

Post by Saul »

dolmadis wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:31 am
...I need some help/ideas please with adding an adhoc bottom lighting option with condenser to a Nikon Optiphot Epi Stand.
Similar like this ? (I used it for the different purpose). You could use without heat sink, by attaching directly to the frame (which will work as a heat sink)
COB used - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281261 ... 4c4df8AY0F , I used 43 thicken 3w (straightforward connection), you can go for more powerful (extra upconverter is needed or right driver).

IMG_2393.jpg

Further has anyone added a 200mm achromat under the head of a finite Nikon like this for use with an infinite lens rather than a camera lens? 
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39266
Saul
μ-stuff

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you Saul for your advice on both questions. Very helpful with the links. Best, John

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Three more options.

First, the bolt hole spacing and center distances of the Nikon Labophot/Optiphot and the Olympus BH2 (BHT, BHTU, BHS) uprights are very close. My recollection is that slightly opening up the holes could get things securely attached and with the field lens centered under the stage. So if you can find an otherwise trashed Olympus stand with a good base, that might be an option.

Second, a LED headlamp is a cheap and easy alternative to throw light up through the stage - though without the control of a field lens and iris. Find one that's bright enough, perhaps with a single bright die and a dimming capability. Cut off the headband and if it has a flat back just double stick tape it to the base. You may want to add some diffusion.

Third, a number of cheap LED microscope lamp replacements are now available out of China.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

PeteM wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:31 pm
Three more options.

First, the bolt hole spacing and center distances of the Nikon Labophot/Optiphot and the Olympus BH2 (BHT, BHTU, BHS) uprights are very close. My recollection is that slightly opening up the holes could get things securely attached and with the field lens centered under the stage. So if you can find an otherwise trashed Olympus stand with a good base, that might be an option.

Second, a LED headlamp is a cheap and easy alternative to throw light up through the stage - though without the control of a field lens and iris. Find one that's bright enough, perhaps with a single bright die and a dimming capability. Cut off the headband and if it has a flat back just double stick tape it to the base. You may want to add some diffusion.

Third, a number of cheap LED microscope lamp replacements are now available out of China.
Thank you.

Option 1 is the ideal for me I think. So I will have to scour the UK offerings for a suitable Olympus base. (shipping and taxes do not make heavy items viable from elsewhere viable these days). So expect a long wait perhaps.

I am drawn to Saul's suggestion as an interim, or almost a final, but I have never understood how to establish the best position for placement of a field iris. is it just trial and error?

Best, John

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Another question has arisen in consideration of useful options.

Would an Optiphot arm bolt on to a Labophot base (with no electrics but field illumination optics remain)?

Thanks, John

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Saul wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 am
dolmadis wrote:
...I need some help/ideas please with adding an adhoc bottom lighting option with condenser to a Nikon Optiphot Epi Stand.
Similar like this ? (I used it for the different purpose). You could use without heat sink, by attaching directly to the frame (which will work as a heat sink)
COB used - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281261 ... 4c4df8AY0F , I used 43 thicken 3w (straightforward connection), you can go for more powerful (extra upconverter is needed or right driver).
Hi Saul

I have ordered the COB that you kindly suggested.

Just need to ask (because I am noit confident around electronics) for confo that the power adapter wires direct to the dimmer and the dimmer is wired direct to COB?

And what V and A?

Thanks, John

Saul

Post by Saul »

dolmadis wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 am
Saul wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 am
dolmadis wrote:
Hi Saul

I have ordered the COB that you kindly suggested.

Just need to ask (because I am noit confident around electronics) for confo that the power adapter wires direct to the dimmer and the dimmer is wired direct to COB?

And what V and A?

Thanks, John
Correct.
PMed
Saul
μ-stuff

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

PeteM wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:31 pm
Making progress but just an update in case someone else comes along with search and finds this post and discussion/ideas.

The arrangement of the bolt holes on the bottom of a Nikon Optiphot arm and an Olympus BHS (BH2) are different.

The longitudinal bolt threads (looking toward the front of the base) are centred 4.0 cm apart on the Optiphot and 3.5 cm on the BHS.

But the latidunal bolt threads (side to side) are identical being by eye 5.75 cm apart.

Bolts are both M6 - Allen headed.

I could only mount the Optiphot focus block on the BHS base by two bolts but being part of a vertical rig it is secured anyway to an upright.

The only disappointment was that BHS base had a very damaged field diaphragm in the base and I had to remove the residue.

So I have mounted a seperate diaphragm on top of the light exit on the base. Time will tell if I need it or if it contributes to Kohler.

The LED Illuminator came courtesy of advice from Saul above.

Thanks for all of the help.

Best, John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic