Wemacro Micromate questions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

Wemacro Micromate questions

Post by dhmiller »

I just got a WeMacro Micromate and am having trouble aligning it to the focuser on my (Motic BA310POL) scope, and I think there are some basic design issues that are at least partially responsible. I'd like to PM with someone who owns one and/or someone who might be able to help build a new mount for the thing that is more stable than the existing one. Could anyone message me privately who might be interested in the project? Thanks much.

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Wemacro Micromate questions

Post by Pau »

I have the MicroMate and don't like the focus knob coupler, so I've designed my own one:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 22#p232122 *

(former discussions at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 66#p229466 )

I think that the original has some design faults (like having four bolts in place of three) and it can couple well to cylindrical knobs but not to conical ones like most mines and centering is somewhat difficult at least until are pretty used to it.

Also you will realize that the software is not adapted to microscope work, it is the very same designed for their focus rail and a 200step/turn motor. I think I could help you although maybe not in the next few days

* now a bit upgraded with a new shaft coupler, an even bigger knob and more washers
Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I've completely redesigned mine, from the stand to the coupling mechanism. I'll resonate Pau's statement of the coupling mechanism being very flimsy. My microscope has a canonical fine focusing knob, the nylon screws aren't that well equipped to deal with it. I've wrapped the focusing knob in electrical tape to increase friction. I've seen other coupling methods, but I'd like one that's not too permanent as I do manually focus stack from time to time. I'll post mine when it's completed. Still waiting for a couple more parts. Personally, I consider it quite an elaborate overkill, I've spent more on the parts than the micromate itself, meaning all I needed was a the controller and the perhaps motor. My newer adaption method doesn't require a stand at all.

Anyway, I'll share it when it's ready.
Last edited by Macro_Cosmos on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Thanks very much for both replies, and good to hear that I am not entirely at fault for the inability to align and the various stability issues I believe the device has as shipped. I don't believe either of you is in the US, so I hope I can find someone who can help me improve the stability... I should add that William has adapted the MicroMate to use a Stackshot controller, and I have that system. So there is no software issue. My issues are entirely centered on the stability of the system and the various areas wherein I get movement where there should be none. Even the horizontal axis is unstable because the large knob that holds the device to the vertical bar does not grip the device adequately to prevent movement up and down even with a feather touch to the horizontal bar.. And when it is mounted on the stand, it is slightly out of alignment, as the front is closer to the edge of the stand than the back end. This cannot be altered because of the placement of the M8 screw holes.

Taping the microscope's focuser seems like a good idea, and please let me know if you have any other suggestions about how to make this functional. Thanks again for the help.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

dhmiller wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:35 pm
My issues are entirely centered on the stability of the system and the various areas wherein I get movement where there should be none. Even the horizontal axis is unstable because the large knob that holds the device to the vertical bar does not grip the device adequately to prevent movement up and down even with a feather touch to the horizontal bar
I think I also had the same issues and my solutions are:
- changing the shaft coupler for a better one, the original coupler had not perfectly parallel sides so it induced both stand movement and loss of good centering and stability. This was my main nightmare until I realized the issue. Check yours
- a better grip between the motor bar and the vertical bar: adding a pair of steel washers between both bars with a rubber washer between them and a wider knob to better control the pressure (and to be able to apply more force if needed)

Be aware that you must use the device only in micrometer mode
.. And when it is mounted on the stand, it is slightly out of alignment, as the front is closer to the edge of the stand than the back end. This cannot be altered because of the placement of the M8 screw holes.
Sorry, I don't understand the issue.
I don't believe either of you is in the US, so I hope I can find someone who can help me improve the stability...
Sure, although as far as I know internet is a world wide web :-k
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I don't have any issues with my two Micromates, except for a tendancy for the white plastic set screws to loosen up after many days of work. When aligning, I keep the back of the motor against the central column to ensure levelness of the horizontal support. And I clamp the bases to my table with strong spring-loaded clamps.

These have almost entirely replaced my rails. They are so much more stable and with much less backlash and camera wobble and of course much finer step size.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Lou, this is good info.
What kind of microscope blocks do you drive? (conical or cylindrical fine focus knobs?)
Do you use the original flexible shaft couplers? (a picture would be useful)
I keep the back of the motor against the central column to ensure levelness of the horizontal support
Some times I also do it, although I prefer to put some distance to allow a bit of flexibility, when not perfectly aligned it seems important.
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Pau, I drive Nikon focusing blocks including the Optiphot. the knobs are slightly tapered. I'll upload some pictures in a moment...

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Here are my two set-ups. In one of them the white nylon set screws grip the tapered part of the knob, and in the other they grip the flat part. It does not seem to matter.

I bet some of the problems in setting this up are due to people underestimating the flexibility of the metal cylinder when setting the nylon screws. Once the cylinder is aligned, you should screw in one set-screw until it just barely touches the cylinder, and then do the same for the opposite screw, and then gently tighten BOTH SCREWS AT THE SAME TIME so as not to push the cylinder out of alignment. Then do the same for the opposite pair.

Some people think the cylinder should have been rigid. The flexible design seems to me to be very appropriate to ensure good operation if the alignment is slightly imperfect.
_1180363.jpg
_1180368.jpg
_1180365.jpg
_1180366.jpg

Saul

Post by Saul »

Saul
μ-stuff

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Lou, thanks for showing them. Lots of interesting stuff, not only wemacros. I love your busy table :D

I see that you're using the original shaft coupler, nothing wrong here, just I think that mine was defective. William sent me several different models although I already had bought one that was working the best.
shaftBR.jpg
I bet some of the problems in setting this up are due to people underestimating the flexibility of the metal cylinder when setting the nylon screws. Once the cylinder is aligned, you should screw in one set-screw until it just barely touches the cylinder, and then do the same for the opposite screw, and then gently tighten BOTH SCREWS AT THE SAME TIME so as not to push the cylinder out of alignment. Then do the same for the opposite pair
Good advice! This is what I did until I made the magnetic coupler, vastly superior in my opinion.
Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Check out Saul's post, that's probably the best solution to all your Micromate woes. You wouldn't need a flimsy stand anymore.
Here's what I've done with the stand, keep in mind that I use a proper optical table. The microscope sits on it. I can connect other whatever thingy to the scope such as micrometers, micromanipulators, and off-axis light guides for reflected. Yeah, it's not the cheapest.

- Thorlabs XT66 series rail block (you can swap this out for an Arca-Swiss rail)
- Thorlabs XT66 series rail carrier (you can swap this and the below with a dual Arca-Swiss clamp, or glue two together)
- Generic Arca-Swiss clamp and rail, M6 T-section slots to mount the rail plate onto
- Thorlabs XT66 series plate for breadboard mounting

This allows 4 degrees of adjustment, up and down, forward and backward. When I want to use the knobs, I just loosen the clamp and nylon screws, and slide the motor out of the way.

My newer solution doesn't require a stand. Saves space and no more adjustment headaches.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Lots of interesting stuff, not only wemacros. I love your busy table
Thanks Pau, yes, that table is a busy place!

I will write a post about my set-ups one of these days. That epi illuminator doubles as a cheap fluorescence illuminator; the Optiphot is finite so the setup can be used with any objectiove, finite or infinite, and it can hold very large tube lenses like the 300mm Canon f/2.8 in the picture.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:31 am
...it can hold very large tube lenses like the 300mm Canon f/2.8 in the picture.
So that's what it was. Maybe I should try the FDn 500mm f/4.5 one day. :D Might be a bit much for vertical StackShot, though.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

JKT, it probably would make an excellent tube lens for reversed long-focal-length front lenses. I wish I had one!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic