Wemacro Micromate questions

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JKT

Re: Wemacro Micromate questions

Post by JKT »

Interesting proposition. I had pictured it with Nikon Plan Apo 20x/.75.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

That's quite a setup. It looks like it has a finite nosepiece--is it one with or without a lens? I was using a DIC finite one with a lens for a bit and the lens seemed to cause trouble with some objectives (particularly the nikon 20x apo), though I was changing around so many other things on the setup it may not have been that element.

Sorry to go off-topic on this. I've been pondering a micromate for my own scope but haven't quite decided yet.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Scarodactyl, you won't regret getting the MicroMate. I am even tempted to get a third one, to move a rear standard.... The standard commercially available rails are vastly inferior with respect to wobbling during a stack, and with respect to step size. I do realize that the custom rails used by many here are much better than the commercially available ones.

Yes, this one has no lenses in the nosepiece. So it is good for infinity objectives.

JKT, I do use it with that objective. But it is useful for a much wider range of objectives. It is important to remember that if 200mm tube lenses are the normal choices for APS cameras, then the 300mm should be the normal tube lens on FF. It will give you the same field of view on FF that the 200mm gives on the APS camera.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Lou Jost wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:49 pm
JKT, I do use it with that objective. But it is useful for a much wider range of objectives. It is important to remember that if 200mm tube lenses are the normal choices for APS cameras, then the 300mm should be the normal tube lens on FF. It will give you the same field of view on FF that the 200mm gives on the APS camera.
The 300mm certainly is useful. EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM sort of works, but I'm not too impressed with the results. However, with the 500mm the selection of actually useful objectives would go down.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, agreed, for objectives the 500mm is overkill.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic