USPS Priority Mail Lens Shipments Gone Missing?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

USPS Priority Mail Lens Shipments Gone Missing?

Post by RobertOToole »

FYI. I would not recommend USPS shipping for now. Two USPS Priority mail shipments of mine have gone missing this week. They were both accepted and scanned in but now after 5 days no status updates. One was a two-day shipment, one is three-day.

February 12, 2021, 9:16 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility

February 12, 2021, 10:31 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
PENSACOLA FL PROCESSING CENTER

February 16, 2021
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

The USPS website says Priority is late after 5 days so I am taking the tracking numbers to my main post office today to get some more info, they usually can find out more than the USPS website or the 1-800 customer service people.

Looks like the US executive branch's attempt to dismantle and crush USPS service late last year is still having effects.

Best,

Robert

JKT

Re: USPS Priority Mail Lens Shipments Gone Missing?

Post by JKT »

Last year I had one such shipment, but fortunately the package made it through. They only lost the tracking.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Is either of them coming from or travelling through an a present extreme weather region?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

There have been issies with tracking and delayed shipmenta since early November. They were wprst ovwr Chriatmas vut are not gone yet. I would jot be too worried yet, everything still seems to be arriving eventually.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am
Is either of them coming from or travelling through an a present extreme weather region?
Yes. The entire center of the US, from north to south, has experienced bad weather this week (its been 21 C, 70F here in California the entire time).

I have a feeling that weather is going to be the excuse from USPS but it doesn't explain the lack of any new scans unless the package is under a snow bank someplace.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:40 am
There have been issies with tracking and delayed shipmenta since early November. They were wprst ovwr Chriatmas vut are not gone yet. I would jot be too worried yet, everything still seems to be arriving eventually.
Yes, true, it was bad over the holidays, had two packages take one month to arrive at the destination, one of them was priority mail, 3 day service, that was really bad! :shock:

Best,

Robert

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Don't complain too much...I'm used to wait +1month for items shipped from the US or Russia and up two months from China and paying almost 50% in taxes, fees and shipping costs...
In Europe the market is much smaller and prices usually higher and in Spain it is almost nonexistent.
Pau

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

a friend of mine shipped some items (yes, lenses ;) to NY beginning of january.
took 3 weeks to arrive without any further update until they suddenly reappeared.
the US carrier was USPS.

I had some (expensive) lenses from china stuck in twilight zone (last tracking listed a german airport) for 5 weeks before they resurfaced.
UPS start to end on this one.

on the other hand I bought 3 cameras from different sellers japan in january, all three shipped with fedex and all three arrived within days.
chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:25 pm
a friend of mine shipped some items (yes, lenses ;) to NY beginning of january.
took 3 weeks to arrive without any further update until they suddenly reappeared.
the US carrier was USPS.

I had some (expensive) lenses from china stuck in twilight zone (last tracking listed a german airport) for 5 weeks before they resurfaced.
UPS start to end on this one.

on the other hand I bought 3 cameras from different sellers japan in january, all three shipped with fedex and all three arrived within days.
3 cameras in one month! Awesome. =D>

Someone posted online how to tell the difference between a professional and a serious enthusiast ? The pro has the older gear.

I'm a full-time professional, currently very poor, and I haven't bought a new camera in over a year :D

Do have a new Sony α7R IV on the way to me now, via UPS, no USPS this time and thanks to Bitcoin and ETH =D>

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

FYI update

Opened a case for the two Priority Mail shipments since the website says that after 5 days it's considered late and to contact the USPS.

USPS has already emailed confirmation with contact person and case numbers.

Waiting for the "weather delay" excuse tomorrow. :D :roll:

PM-USPS-case.jpg

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

RobertOToole wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:09 pm
3 cameras in one month! Awesome. =D>
you should have seen me in my best days 8)
I still use mostly analog gear for my personal photography, and although prices are raising again, a Contax RX can be had for 150-200USD from japan. I already have an RX, lovely camera, but I wanted a second so I can load different film types - they are so affordable that I consider them like magazines on a medium format camera :)
the RX is one of my favourite cameras, a bit heavy but great viewfinder, and rather quiet. I also like that it can imprint exposure data between frames which makes it easier to cut the negatives on low light shots.
I figure they will be harder and harder to find in working condition, so I better stock up now and bought two. one of them was not as advertised and will have to be sent back.

I also bought an RTS III since I always wanted to try their vacuum plate. very nice camera, but rather bulky.
might sell it again if it turns out to be a hassle to carry around, the nice thing about second hand cameras is that they hardly loose any value.

best contax body to carry around is the Aria, those are getting harder and harder to find for good prices though.

sorry for drifting off-topic
chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 am
you should have seen me in my best days 8)
I still use mostly analog gear for my personal photography, and although prices are raising again, a Contax RX can be had for 150-200USD from japan. I already have an RX, lovely camera, but I wanted a second so I can load different film types - they are so affordable that I consider them like magazines on a medium format camera :)
Contax has always been a favorite of mine.

Personally I really really dislike the film process.......too much time and work, and then you still need to scan to everything :shock: ..... but I really love the older analog camera gear, it's hard not to buy stuff at the camera swap meets and used camera shops. Picked up a nice 2,5/105mm Ai lens for maybe $50, in Mint shape, for the wife's D810, and we still have it here. Great little compact lens. The Japanese really take care of their equipment!

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Oh yes, this is the golden age of old camera stuff. Nowadays a medium format system that would have costed tens of thousands of dollars when new can be bought for hundreds of dollars. As time goes on, the best lenses will become increasingly rare and sought-after, so now is the time to buy!

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 am
Oh yes, this is the golden age of old camera stuff. Nowadays a medium format system that would have costed tens of thousands of dollars when new can be bought for hundreds of dollars. As time goes on, the best lenses will become increasingly rare and sought-after, so now is the time to buy!
actually most of the really cool cameras already are becoming more expensive :/

for example I bought a full Hasselblad 501C/M kit (inkl 80mm lens and magazine) in superb condition for just 1000EUR about 6 years ago.
these days they usually go for about twice that, and as you say the top end stuff will most likely increase in price..

but you're right, it's still a bargain compared to the list price, I have a price list from 1996 and the magazine alone lists for 1372 DM, which would be close to 1000EUR of todays money.
chris

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:24 am
Personally I really really dislike the film process.......too much time and work, and then you still need to scan to everything :shock:
I wouldn't want to shoot analog for everyday work, but I very much enjoy it for personal projects, specially portraits.
and yeah, it takes a lot of time and energy, so definitely easier to do as a hobby.
chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic