Advices for enlarger lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Freak

Advices for enlarger lens

Post by Freak »

Hello everybody,
my first post here, I'm new for macro but enthusiastic.

After reading some tests and general infos about enlarger lens, i found 2 and I'm thinking to go to buy them. The lens are, a componon-S 2.8/50 and a componon 28mm f/4. Not sure about El-Nikkor 50mm f:2.8.

I read, also on closeuphotography.com that they will work at their best, coupled with a rear lens. The question is, which one do you advise easily to find online?
I found the Makro-Symmar 5.9/120 but the budget to start is less about 100 $.
The Componon-S 150mm f/5.6 is easy to find online, what do you think?

Thanks.

chris_ma

Re: Advices for enlarger lens

Post by chris_ma »

hi and welcome,
I guess the first question would be what magnification(s) are you looking for and what sensor size are you using?
as far as i understood budget is less then 100USD?
also do you already have ay adapters or do you need those as well?
chris

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Freak wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 am
Hello everybody,
my first post here, I'm new for macro but enthusiastic.

After reading some tests and general infos about enlarger lens, i found 2 and I'm thinking to go to buy them. The lens are, a componon-S 2.8/50 and a componon 28mm f/4. Not sure about El-Nikkor 50mm f:2.8.

I read, also on closeuphotography.com that they will work at their best, coupled with a rear lens. The question is, which one do you advise easily to find online?
The Componon-S 150mm f/5.6 is easy to find online, what do you think?

Thanks.
The 135mm Componon - S are at a really good IQ vs price point.
The 150 CPN-S are also excellent. :D

You can find these are super ultra low prices on eBay. Sometimes $30-40 for a clean Componon-S.

Take a look:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/135mm-tube-lens-test

1024.jpg

https://www.closeuphotography.com/150mm-tube-lens-test

150.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

:shock:

Forgot about this one! I forget about tests on my own site!! #-o

In a lot of cases the CPN-S is cheaper than a Raynox and makes a super portrait lens also, where the Raynox is horrible at infinity.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/135-c ... ox-dcr-250
s-vs-r.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

One more?

100.jpg

The 5.6/100 CPN-S is another recommended choice for a TL due to low cost, I have picked up copies of these for less than $50 in the past. Slightly more CAs than the CPN-S 135 but sharpness is good.

I might have an extra copy lying around.

https://www.closeuphotography.com/compo ... -lens-test

Best,

Robert

Freak

Post by Freak »

Thank you very much for answering.
My camera is an aps-c sensor one (Canon 60D). I'm interested at the moment for magnification from 1 to max 4. Testing now magnification from 2 to 3.5 reversing the canon 24mm f/2.8 stm pankake. I published my first tests here https://www.flickr.com/photos/191875523@N06/ :P
I meant my budget is 100 $ for this tube lens only but yes, also something more :mrgreen:

Robert, I passed few whole days on your wonderful website :D ; it's there I learned about the coupling. Thank you for your advises. I just checked online and on ebay about the Componon-S 5.6/135 but no luck, few worn out pieces. Easier for the Componon-S 150mm f/5.6 (tested also in your website), but many not so in good conditions.

I ask, the performance of the enlarger lens I mentioned above, how much go up with these TL? In any case I could try to have an idea with them mounted reversed directely on my camera, What do you think.

Thanks again.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Freak wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:52 pm
Thank you very much for answering.
My camera is an aps-c sensor one (Canon 60D). I'm interested at the moment for magnification from 1 to max 4. Testing now magnification from 2 to 3.5 reversing the canon 24mm f/2.8 stm pankake. I published my first tests here https://www.flickr.com/photos/191875523@N06/ :P
I meant my budget is 100 $ for this tube lens only but yes, also something more :mrgreen:

Robert, I passed few whole days on your wonderful website :D ; it's there I learned about the coupling. Thank you for your advises. I just checked online and on ebay about the Componon-S 5.6/135 but no luck, few worn out pieces. Easier for the Componon-S 150mm f/5.6 (tested also in your website), but many not so in good conditions.

I ask, the performance of the enlarger lens I mentioned above, how much go up with these TL? In any case I could try to have an idea with them mounted reversed directely on my camera, What do you think.

Thanks again.
APS-C and 2-3x, okay.

You should try the lenses reversed and focused with extension for closeups also but usually stacking for 2-3x will give you an advantage of less sharpness loss due to diffraction and sometimes less chromatic aberrations and large image circle, less corner shading but it always depends on the lens pairs. Some work very very well, some with less success. Try both ways, stacking and extension and you will see what I mean.

There are almost unlimited older posts here on the forum to help with ideas and setup advice.

Thanks for taking time to visit my site also.

Best,

Robert

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Freak wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 am
The lens are, a componon-S 2.8/50 and a componon 28mm f/4. Not sure about El-Nikkor 50mm f:2.8.

Since money is an issue of some sort, I suggest to not bother with the rear lens at this point. Componon-S 2.8/50, by itself, reversed, will work very well at 1-4X. For illustration, see https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=23546 and load the full-resolution image from the link provided there.

The improvements provided by stacked lenses are real, but they are most commonly demonstrated by pixel-peeping in shots from very demanding test setups. Until only a couple of years ago, standard practice was to use just a single reversed enlarging lens, and even the best photographers were lark happy with the results they got.

Assuming that both lenses are in good condition, the Componon-S 2.8/50 will do better than EL-Nikkor 50mm f:2.8. I don't see any point in getting both of them.

--Rik

Freak

Post by Freak »

Thank you Rik for answering. I'll consider your advices.

I've just bought a componon-s 28mm f/4 for 80 euros (abt 95 dollars). I'll need a 43mm reverse adaptor for canon? not easy to find online.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Freak,
Just search for "step up/down ring 43mm" on ebay.com.
Then go over 52mm and M42 to Canon EF or M.
Best,
ADi

JKT

Post by JKT »

There are 42mm <-> 43mm reversing rings available on Ebay or even cheaper on Aliexpress. I would use that and EF to T2 adapter, which are plentiful and cheap. T2 is the same as 42mm. There are also T2 tube sets from SVbony and others. These you can use to change magnification. Alternative to or combined with them is some adjustable extension for fine-tuning the magnification. The 42mm tubes should be enough for APS-C. For full frame they wouldn't necessarily be optimal.

An alternative to T2 (=M42x0.75) is the venerable M42 (=M42x1). There are tubes and step-up, step-down and reversing rings for that as well, but not that many - at least not the rings. In my opinion the only positive in that is the shorter minimum length due to the shorter flange distance. In your case that could matter as the focus distance for 1:1 would be 56mm from sensor. In any case, choose which 42mm thread you use and make sure you get your parts for that one. Apparently the sellers get that wrong occasionally as well.

Freak

Post by Freak »

Thank you for your answers.
Yes, there's more than 1 solution.
I could mount on the componon a step down 43 to 42 to fit on the T2 adapter, right? and if needed, to mount in the middle the SVBony extension tubes.

But, 1 question here
An alternative to T2 (=M42x0.75) is the venerable M42 (=M42x1)
I suppose, the step down 43-42 must have the 0,75 pitch to fit with the componon and with the T2 adapter (both 0,75 pitch); also for the SVBony extension tubes should be the same, right? But the M42 has the 1 mm pitch ! #-o

I have already 2 sets of extension tube (60mm diameter) I use to reverse my canon 24mm f / 2.8 STM. I could also use them combining with some rings, right?

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Freak on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Raf-M43.jpg

RafCamera sells a M43 x 0.75 > M42 x 1 male-to-male reverse adapter for $24.

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-m43x0-75m-to-m42x1m

M42 x 1 extension tube sets and or bellows are easy to find.

I'm glad that I remembered this item since he made this for me a couple months ago :shock:

Raf adapters cost more than an adapter from China for 00.99 but be prepared that the adapter might not fit (at one point maybe 50% of Chinese adapters I received were cut wrong) :?

Freak

Post by Freak »

Thank you Robert, I hope to find it also here in Europe.

So, there are 2 ways to go, with the 0,75mm (T2, SVBony..) and with 1mm (M24..). But how is about the step up / down rings? Then, I already have the 60mm diameter extension tube, how can I know which is the thread pitch?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Freak wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 pm
Thank you Robert, I hope to find it also here in Europe.
You are a lot closer to RU (Raf) then I am, for me they are almost 10,000 k away from me :D
So, there are 2 ways to go, with the 0,75mm (T2, SVBony..) and with 1mm (M24..). But how is about the step up / down rings? Then, I already have the 60mm diameter extension tube, how can I know which is the thread pitch?
You can grab a metal rule and place a back light, flashlight or ikea lamp will work, take an image with your phone. If the threads are spaced 1mm apart its 1.0mm pitch. I've done this many times, works great. Best to use manual focus on your phone.

M42 x 1 is very easy since there are lots of M42 x 1 tubes on the used market and its easy to find bellows with M42 x 1 threads.

With adapters, sometimes M42 x 1 is really T2. T2 is often mislabeled and is really M42 x 1. You never know until you check with a test fit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic