MJKZZ Extreme system and ...

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Re: MJKZZ Extreme system and ...

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dhmiller wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:04 pm
Well I"m pretty much using the same practices I have used successfully for 5x - very stable platform, standalone building with concrete floor (no activity/vibrations of any kind - it's a barn on the property and I leave the building when starting the stack), Mirror Up, delays at every step to settle, electronic curtain/shutter (Nikon D850..), Rik's recommended prerun and other parameters, precision backlash calibration, etc. Often the controller doesn't return the motor to the start and end points I have set when I check it in Zerene, or it doesn't seem to finish the stack, leaving the job half or 3/4 done... Happy to hear any other suggestions for working in either H (Stackshot rail) or V (THK SKR20) modes... Feel free to go PM if you prefer...
How do single shots look? Does a single shot look as sharp as the Live View window?

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

"How do single shots look? Does a single shot look as sharp as the Live View window?"

I preview using an external field monitor - very sharp - HDMI to monitor. Single shots can look fine, but the rail is not traveling the full distance or the correct distance or one or the other. It often doesn't finish at the end point I set - that's fairly common, maybe worse in V mode, but H can be just as bad, or I get 100s of out of focus frames, like tonight. This is after doing all the prep work - adjusting settings - that I am aware of. The load is well under the 10 lbs stated load for the SS. maximum capacity.. actually under 5. Pretty much driving me batty. If it's user error, then just not sure what else I can correct...

Rik suggested I put away the 50x and work with lower mags, and I had similar problems tonight with the 20x Mitutoyo, checked and certified as sharp by a forum member..

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

dhmiller wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:19 pm
"How do single shots look? Does a single shot look as sharp as the Live View window?"

I preview using an external field monitor - very sharp - HDMI to monitor. Single shots can look fine, but the rail is not traveling the full distance or the correct distance or one or the other. It often doesn't finish at the end point I set - that's fairly common, maybe worse in V mode, but H can be just as bad, or I get 100s of out of focus frames, like tonight. This is after doing all the prep work - adjusting settings - that I am aware of. The load is well under the 10 lbs stated load for the SS. maximum capacity.. actually under 5. Pretty much driving me batty. If it's user error, then just not sure what else I can correct...

Rik suggested I put away the 50x and work with lower mags, and I had similar problems tonight with the 20x Mitutoyo, checked and certified as sharp by a forum member..
Sounds like a new rail might solve the problem.

I use a mjkzz controller with my THK rail, and I never have problems like you're mentioning. I did have some issues early on that were kind of like you're describing, and it turned out that my u-joint coupler between the motor and rail was a little loose. Not enough to notice on a few shots, but going to the end of 100 shots, then back, didn't return to the same spot. It was driving me crazy until I figured out it was a little loose, and now all works perfectly.

JKT

Post by JKT »

What tube lens?

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

it turned out that my u-joint coupler between the motor and rail was a little loose.
Thanks, Ray. I'll give that a look ASAP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic