Motic 10x Plan Apo ELWD vs Mitutoyo 10x M Plan Apo

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

Scarodactyl

Motic 10x Plan Apo ELWD vs Mitutoyo 10x M Plan Apo

Post by Scarodactyl »

A while back I picked up a Motic ELWD plan apo 10x objective--it was really cheap because of a big scratch on the front lens, but I knew that was unlikely to affect the image too badly.

Fast forward to now, I finally got a suitable microscope setup to test it (my previous one used an Olympus BH2-UMA, but its tube lens apparently applies some corrections in the corners and just isn't compatible with mitutoyo objectives). For this test I'm using a Nikon infinity-corrected optiphot head. The tube lens probably isn't as good as an itl-200 but I suspect it's similar in broad stokes--a nicely corrected tube lens meant to cover 26.5mm eyepieces at least.

My impression visually was that it was pretty similar and I think it holds up in the photos. Note this is lit with undiffused fiber optic light guides--diffusion would make it better but I don't have a good fixed diffuser and didn't want to have to change anything switching between the two objectives.
I also aligned the images so the crops would be the same, so for the mitutoyo they're slightly off center and off corner, but I think it's OK.

These were stacked, and I think I didn't get the mitutoyo one quite perfect.

Motic
Mitutoyo

Center
Motic:
Mitutoyo:
Corner
Motic
Mitutoyo

Anyway, I think it's pretty close on APS-C, even with this imperfect stack. I'm also pretty sure that these are the same as EO M Plan Apos (but not their optem-made HR objectives). I'd recommend one if you can find it cheap, though it may not perform as well on full frame vs the mitutoyo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic