UV against lens fungus

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Saul

UV against lens fungus

Post by Saul »

Can UV light stop fungus growth inside objective ?
Saul
μ-stuff

enricosavazzi

Re: UV against lens fungus

Post by enricosavazzi »

Saul wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:39 pm
The most effective wavelengths for this use are in the UVB and UVC. Most lenses (except the very few ones designed for UV imaging and a handful more) transmit little to no UVA, and no UVB and UVC, so exposing these lenses to UVB and UVC has no effect on fungus located behind the outermost front and rear optical surfaces.
--ES

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

Saul wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:39 pm
Formaldehyde (gas) is a classic for sterilizing microscopes and, some decades ago, even entire rooms. See for example:
  • Suzuki A and Y. Namba, 1982. Sterilization of operating microscope and flexible fiber-optic illuminator by formaldehyde gas. Nagoya J. Med. Sci., 45, 43-48.
  • Tayler, A.L. et. al., 1969. Paraformaldehyde for Surface Sterilization and Detoxification. Applied Microbiology, (17)4, 614-618.
– John

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Not really effective, unless the objective is optimised for UV. Oly as I'm sure you're aware marks theirs with 340. I might be purchasing a 10x oly apo infested with shrooms, seller quoted $150 and he's happy to test it. Not sure how I'll deal with those pesky shrooms.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic