Olympus question - 20x phase contrast and condensers

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jmc

Olympus question - 20x phase contrast and condensers

Post by jmc »

I have an Olympus BHB, and the phase contrast condenser I have for it has settings for 10x, 20x, and 100x objectives. I've also seen an Olympus 20x phase contrast objective for sale, with a finite tube length.

Does anyone know if Olympus made a specific phase contrast condenser for 20x objectives, or whether will they work with the 10x or 40x settings (although I'm not clear on how they would)?
Jonathan Crowther

Alan Wood

Re: Olympus question - 20x phase contrast and condensers

Post by Alan Wood »

Jonathan

The BH-PC condenser that was made for the BH range has settings for 10×, 20×, 40× and 100× objectives.

The BH2-PC and BH2-PCD condensers made for the BH-2 also fit the BH. The BH2-PC has the same settings as the BH-PC. The BH2-PCD has settings for 10×, 40× and 100× objectives plus a dark-ground stop.

So perhaps you have a BH2-PCD?

The 20× phase objectives will not align with the 10× or 40× settings.

I do not know if BH phase objectives will work with BH-2 condensers, or if BH-2 phase objectives will work with a BH-PC condenser.

Alan Wood

jmc

Re: Olympus question - 20x phase contrast and condensers

Post by jmc »

Hi Alan,

Yes, that'll be it. Mine has a dark field (ground) setting, so is one of the later ones. It also has a dovetail underneath which I guess is a bit of a giveaway.....

Funnily enough I have a BHB on its way to me which looked from the advert to have one of the earlier BH-PC condensers on it, so that'll have the 20x setting.

I should be able to do a test with both condensers and both sets of objectives and see whether everything is compatible.

Jonathan
Jonathan Crowther

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic