Fuji in-camera focus stacking

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Fuji in camera focus stacking

Post by rjlittlefield »

Perhaps a new thread, started by Bob, to show off his images?

(Why can I never find that begging-puppy icon when I need it?)

--Rik

jnh

Re: Fuji in-camera focus stacking

Post by jnh »

I have a Fuji X-T3, which can do in-camera focus bracketing. It's nice to have here and there, but the current implementation is maddeningly obtuse, as there's a stepping parameter (forgot what they call it) that can be varied on a scale from 1 to 10, but it's not quite clear what the effect is (apparently, it takes into account DOF at the set aperture, but anything below 10 seems to be overkill). Setting the end point is a guessing game, though. But I just googled around, and apparently they made it much better in the X-Pro3: https://camerajabber.com/tutorials/how- ... king-mode/. Here's hoping this comes to other bodies as well via firmware update.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

There are various cameras that do in-camera focus bracketing that way -- the user specifies a step size which is a number where bigger numbers mean a bigger step. So one will need to spend some time calibrating an optimal step size for a given lens and aperture. The Helicon Fb tube (which I use) does the same thing. It took a while to calibrate it, but now I'm good.
I don't find that I need to know the end point. I just start in front of the subject and keep leaning on the shutter button until I'm behind the subject.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I also don't find any problem using these controls. In Olympus cameras, people on this forum have conclusively shown that a step size of 2 is the best default, and in Olympus I just press the shutter once to start the process, and let it run until I see that everything of interest has been imaged. I stop it with a second shutter press. It takes no thought and no manipulation of the controls in the field. Very fast.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic