Troubleshooting small focus differences

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bralex

Troubleshooting small focus differences

Post by bralex »

I'm using an Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mk II, with a Mitutoyo 10x, reversed Raynox 150 as tube lens.

I'm having a problem where the image in the viewfinder is focused, but the actual photo taken is not - example below. I have the camera feeding a monitor, so the "viewfinder" pic is my cellphone :)

Here's the viewfinder:

Here's the photo

Here's the quick summary of camera settings:

I have disabled image stabilization with no effect. I don't have this problem with "normal" lenses. I figure there's some auto setting that's trying to help, that instead is messing things up. Does the sensor move forward/backwards on shutter press?

I'm controlling the camera remotely (iPad); behavior is consistent across >100 photos - in this case I don't think it's vibration.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

There is plenty of evidence of motion blur in your second picture. Since your first picture is sharp, the motion is probably due to your shutter shaking the camera. Why aren't you using the Silent Shutter (electronic shutter) option?

bralex

Post by bralex »

Turned it on years ago and never tweaked it. Upping the delay made a big improvement. I'll keep experimenting, thanks!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Don't add a delay, just turn on the Silent Shutter option. The icon has a heart symbol in the corner of a rectangle. This will completel eliminate your problem, if the motion is coming from the camera.

bralex

Post by bralex »

It was already on, but with 0 sec delay. Upping the delay to 1/4 sec made a visible improvement. I'll be able to do more experimenting this afternoon to see about optimizing.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Are you sure? Maybe you are thinking of the electronic first curtain shutter, which is not the same?

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I agree with Lou's observations and advice here. You may also show us your setup, maybe it's unstable.

bralex

Post by bralex »

Sorry, just getting back to this. Yes, I know the settings I just changed. Previously both silent and anti-shock were on but with 0 sec delay. Changed silent and anti-shock to 1/4 sec. I've literally only taken 1 pic with the new settings but it was sharp and in focus. I'll continue playing this afternoon and see how things turn out.

bralex

Post by bralex »

Reshot more-or-less the same thing, with much better results.

I'd been thinking of external vibration, not internal. My whole house is sadly prone to vibration. I'm using a new WeMacro rail system, which is fairly lightweight.

Here's another frame and the final result - I'm working on better technique, lighting etc. but this was mostly "get it to work" so I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I appreciate the tip!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Can Silent and Anti-shock can be on at the same time? I don't think so. If a delay is improving things, then you ae not using Silent Shutter, because a delay will have no effect in that mode.

The screen shot of your settings does not show that Silent Shutter is on. It shows a plain rectangle rather than one with a heart in the corner.

Do you hear any sound when your shutter fires?

bralex

Post by bralex »

Both were on and set to 0 delay previously. Setting both to 1/4 sec delay improved things. Setting each and both to 0 delay again left things in good shape.

My only thought is that one of the firmware updates reset/turned off silent mode, but left the setting indicator in the menu on. I'd never noticed the heart icon on the info display in any case, but it's there now.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'm glad that this worked, and that the heart symbol shows now. If you still have problems while the heart symbol is showing, your house vibrations will be the cause.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic