Nikon Rayfact VF Float Lens Test Preview

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Happy birthday Robert!!! Are you counting this as Year 1 of your second life?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Excellent work Robert!

Can you remind me of the cost of the Mejiro lens?

My only concern for the report is the final discussion of the 85MV vs the M5400:
For reference, the Macro Varon is excellent at 2x, in 2018 I tested it against 10 other lenses, and it came out being beaten only by the Minolta 5400 scanner lens, and overall best for large sensors, take a quick look: https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test-2018
This sentence seems out of place in this review, and is without the context that the M5400 is not a variable lens nor that the test was done on APS-C versus the FF testing being done in this article. The M5400 IQ was even falling-off at the corner of APS-C vs the 85MV so depending on the application the conclusion is debatable.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:Great test, as always!
thanks a lot, certainly an impressive bunch of glass.

Enjoy your birthday and many happy returns
chris
Thanks Chris, and thanks again for the help with the proofreading.

This group had to have had the highest consistency of any test I've ever done. Excellent job from all 3 lenses, the VF, Mejiro and MV were just about perfect when it came to suppressing CAs through the range. The VF was especially impressive with the clean deep blacks.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Happy birthday Robert!!! Are you counting this as Year 1 of your second life?
Thanks Lou, Yes, I am, My wife keeps reminding me of that fact!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Excellent work Robert!

Can you remind me of the cost of the Mejiro lens?
The Mejiro float lens has been updated a bit since this version. I've tried to get information out of Mejiro a few times with email but they won't give me any details since I am not in the Photonics trade. Also they have been bought out by a Taiwanese firm a couple of years ago. Hopefully they don't disappear, they really produce some nice optics.

My only concern for the report is the final discussion of the 85MV vs the M5400:

This sentence seems out of place in this review, and is without the context that the M5400 is not a variable lens nor that the test was done on APS-C versus the FF testing being done in this article. The M5400 IQ was even falling-off at the corner of APS-C vs the 85MV so depending on the application the conclusion is debatable.
The MV did come in best in the results for full frame in that test, but the wording would be cleaner trimmed down. Thanks for the input Ray.

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

lothman wrote:Robert this ist stunning work again

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
Thanks Lothar! :D

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

As always nice Job Robert!

Btw sorry for being late celebrating your birthday.

Happy birthday!
Regards.
Omer

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

So that CPN 28/35 is also a star as you suggested in your leader release post.

Pity that they are certainly supply limited and then so by price.

Thank you for this epic test.

BR

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic