What are Zeiss Jena HI finite objectives?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

enricosavazzi

What are Zeiss Jena HI finite objectives?

Post by enricosavazzi »

I need a refresher - What does "HI" mean in the engravings on Zeiss Jena finite objectives? I have for example a Zeiss Jena Apochromat HI 60x with adjustable NA from 0.7 to 1.0, in RMS mount.
--ES

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Enrico,

HI = Oil

HI is the abbreviation for homogenous immersion but it means oil immersion.

Zeiss Jena acknowledged that this isn't homogenous immersion in the strictest sense; the refractive indices of cover glass, immersion oil and objective front lens are slightly different (not completely homogenous). They held onto the HI from Abbe's era until 1990 while other companies started to use the "oil" designation.

Any modern synthetic ISO immersion oil (nD = 1.515) will work with these objectives.

Happy Easter, Ichty

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

That particular oil immersion objective is mainly designed for darkfield microscopy (where its adjustable NA / back focal plane iris is useful). It is not plan, but otherwise a pretty good apo lens.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

Thanks for the information. Given the relatively low NA, I was actually hoping for a water or glycerol immersion objective, as a speedier and less messy alternative to oil immersion. I have a Lomo 70x water immersion objective that I might try to use instead.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic