Helicon - export full res file

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Andy Davies

Helicon - export full res file

Post by Andy Davies »

I'm trying out Helicon 7.6.1 and uploaded a number of RAW NEF files. I was expecting to be able to pre-process the RAWS in Adobe Camera Raw before doing a render but this wasn't an option.

I then exported a DNG but this was much smaller than than my original 7360 x 4912.

The only option I can see to rectify this is to change the output from 300DPI but what value would retain the original image dimensions?

This problem does not occur when rendering TIFFS and then saving as a TIFF.

JKT

Post by JKT »

The DPI value should have no effect on the resulting picture size when measured in pixels. I have never experienced anything like that, but I use canon CR3 and convert them to DNG prior to stacking.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Helicon - export full res file

Post by rjlittlefield »

Andy Davies wrote:I then exported a DNG but this was much smaller than than my original 7360 x 4912.
I think I've seen the same thing and never figured it out.

If nobody else here can quickly offer an answer, I suggest asking the Helicon support forum. Please report back what the answer turns out to be.

However, first check to see if you're actually seeing inconsistent reporting of the image size. Just now I did a RAW-in-DNG-out, starting with some Canon .CR2 files. The .CR2's are actually 4752 x 3168, and that's how everything I've tried reports them. The .DNG output file is also 4752 x 3168 --- as reported by Photoshop. But Windows File Explorer and IrfanView see the exported .DNG as being only 1024 x 682 pixels. I expect that's a matter of reporting about some low-resolution preview image that's embedded in the .DNG, rather than digging down to the actual "raw" image.

--Rik

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

yes, the pixel dimension difference is likely from the embedded preview.
any file size difference is from the lossless compression in DNG files.
chris

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

chris_ma wrote:any file size difference is from the lossless compression in DNG files.
In my experience size difference goes the other way: the DNG's exported from Helicon are ballpark 3X bigger than the original raw.

That's because the DNG's exported from Helicon have been demosaiced and contain 3 values per pixel (RGB), where the original raw files are only one value per pixel (Bayer matrix).

--Rik

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

rjlittlefield wrote:That's because the DNG's exported from Helicon have been demosaiced and contain 3 values per pixel (RGB), where the original raw files are only one value per pixel (Bayer matrix).
I see. I was thinking of DNG generated by Adobe's DNG converter - didn't realise Helicon can also generate DNG files but after a stack keeping the full RGB data makes a lot of sense.
chris

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

If you have LR or C1 you can do some processing of the RAW files before you export to and stack in Helicon.

There is a Helicon plug for both LR and C1.

C1 guide here: https://www.heliconsoft.com/capture-one-plugin/

Use RAW in DNG out for LR here: https://www.heliconsoft.com/raw-in-dng-out/

IN LR makes changes to RAW files, then right click Export>Helicon Focus

From memory LR plugin installs by default with Helicon.

You cannot access Helicon from Adobe Camera RAW or PS as far as I know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic