Bizarre Nikon Optiphot photo tube attachment ID request

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mbb

Bizarre Nikon Optiphot photo tube attachment ID request

Post by mbb »

Recently I bought an Optiphot microscope (I think it is model 66) with “T” trinocular head that has a bizarre attachment (I tried to search the web for picture/description with no luck at all) so I will appreciate if somebody will be able to identify this beast. I am attaching a few photos as this will serve the purpose better than me trying to describe it.
Thank you in advance

mbb

Post by mbb »

here are photos

mbb

Post by mbb »

have problems with uploads, sorryImage

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mbb, welcome to the forum!

It looks like you're getting a handle on the image upload procedure.

If you need them, instructions can be found at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ic.php?t=7 , in the Image Hosting Procedures forum.

--Rik

mbb

Post by mbb »

rjlittlefield wrote:mbb, welcome to the forum!

It looks like you're getting a handle on the image upload procedure.

If you need them, instructions can be found at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ic.php?t=7 , in the Image Hosting Procedures forum.

--Rik
Thanks, Rik
Seems that I figured it out; could you please remove double in the second post - this I still need to learn

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

The part (A) in pictures 7-9 is the Nikon "chimney". https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... p?p=206784

The lens at the base is a tube lens which takes the image from infinity and produces an intermediate image (normally for a projective).

The chimney looks unusual in itself; I suppose that the top part has been removed to reveal the interior that you wouldn't normally see.

The adapter (B) in pictures 3-4 looks custom-made. Very unusual. Can you say something about the optic (? eyepiece) inside adapter B?

Regards, Ichty

mbb

Post by mbb »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:Hi,

The part (A) in pictures 7-9 is the Nikon "chimney". https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... p?p=206784

The lens at the base is a tube lens which takes the image from infinity and produces an intermediate image (normally for a projective).

The chimney looks unusual in itself; I suppose that the top part has been removed to reveal the interior that you wouldn't normally see.

The adapter (B) in pictures 3-4 looks custom-made. Very unusual. Can you say something about the optic (? eyepiece) inside adapter B?

Regards, Ichty
Hi, Ichty
OK, A) I did not label “chimney” - } indicate that this tube with lens mounted on it is inserted deep into the chimney. I also found this chimney to be strange in this model. BTW black tube sticking out from it seems to be permanently attached
Thanks, Mark

mbb

Post by mbb »

I was not precise – the tube is screwed into the chimney and looks like it is made with two parts but it seems they are connected permanently, only the lens holding part can be unscrewed; as shown in the photo. There are no markings on the tube or upper part

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

mbb wrote:. . . could you please remove double in the second post - this I still need to learn
I went ahead and removed the duplicate image.

Mark, welcome! :D

--Chris S.

mbb

Post by mbb »

Thanks, Chris
Best, Mark

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

B would be for a polariser (analyser), surely, but it looks like it may be off something else!
Chris R

genera

Post by genera »

ChrisR wrote:B would be for a polariser (analyser), surely, but it looks like it may be off something else!
You wouldn't see the polarizing effect in the eyepieces and that, to me, makes it an odd place for a polarizer.

mbb, does anything within the barrel move up and down when the lever is rotated?
-Gene

mbb

Post by mbb »

genera wrote:
ChrisR wrote:B would be for a polariser (analyser), surely, but it looks like it may be off something else!
You wouldn't see the polarizing effect in the eyepieces and that, to me, makes it an odd place for a polarizer.

mbb, does anything within the barrel move up and down when the lever is rotated?
Hi Gene;

Part B is constructed with three barrels. The inner one has a small lens (~8mm) at the bottom - lever rotates this barrel (90-degree movement and is locking on both ends, small grooves at both ends) so the lens can be rotated in the horizontal plane only (no parts are moving vertically at all in the whole setup). The outer barrel is housing and is providing restriction points. Barrel in the middle also can rotate 0-90 degree after untightening the knob and is providing smooth movement – can be locked at any point by tightening the knob, but if you tighten little screws in lower part of middle barrel it will lock it to the top part of the tube (part A) inserted into the chimney and there is no more movement possible, knob tightened or not. BTW you can see marks left by tightening these screws in different places around the top part of tube A; and when part B was turned with partially tightened screws. I can only think that this process serves the only purpose of adjusting the position of part B.
Best,

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic