Using 10x objective with Sony A7rii full frame

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

SYPster

Re: Using 10x objective with Sony A7rii full frame

Post by SYPster »

AlisonP wrote:Hi folks, I am an experienced macro photographer and want to try extreme macro photography with a 10x microscope objective.  I have read many of the excellent postings in this forum on microscope objectives.  Several of them I have read many times to try to understand all the details.  Thanks to all you dedicated extreme macro photographers for sharing all your information.  

I'd like to get a little additional information and recommendations before I purchase the objective to be sure I have what I need.  For background -- my macro photography subjects are Myxomycetes and very small fungi.  Myxos, though, are my passion.  You can see my photos online at https://www.instagram.com/marin_mushrooms/  

I use a Sony A7rII with the Sony 90mm macro lens for 1:1.  Most of the time I have the Raynox 250 added to that, which gets me to about 2.5:1.  I focus stack manually in the field for virtually all of my photos with this lens combination.  I also have the Laowa 25mm 2.5-5:1 lens which I use in a home studio; with this lens I use the Stackshot automated rail for focus stacking.

I will purchase either the Nikon 10x CFI plan achromat NA 0.25 or the Mitutuyo 10X /0.28NA Plan Apo Infinity-Corrected Long WD Objective (Edmunds Stock #46-144).  Big difference in price, but I am willing to purchase the Mitty if it indeed gets significantly higher sharpness, and also because of the significantly longer working distance.

Here are the questions I am hoping someone can answer:

1.  Will both of these objectives cover a full frame sensor?  Or would I have to use my camera in APS-C mode?  I don't mind a little vignetting because I can crop to a different aspect ratio which I frequently do anyway.

2.  I have at hand and can use as the tube lens for the infinity objective the Canon 70-200mm f4.  I use a Fotodiox adaptor to connect that lens with my Sony and have not had any problems with that.  Because the Fotodiox adaptor adds a little length to the "tube", would I then  set the Canon to a little less than 200mm to account for the length of the Fotodiox adapter?  If I use this lens then my setep would be
Sony A7rII + Fotodiox adapter + Canon 70-200mm f4  + adapter ring to mount objective onto 70-200mm lens + objectiveIs that correct?

3. Would it be better to use the Raynox 250 as a tube lens?  I don't have but can purchase the Raynox 150 if that is better.I have seen Rik's posting on how to attach this to a camera here: https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=35350

Thank you in advance for answers to my questions and any help you can offer.
I am a similar boat AlisonP
To date I have been using a Yasuhara Nanoha Macro Lens 5:1 on a Sony A7 driven by Stackshot rail then Zerene...for my Myxos and microfossil work.

I have just purchased a second hand Mitty 10x objective, an adaptor from Rafcamera for my 70-200 f2.8 canon lens, and am waiting on a shutter release lead (as I cannot get the stackshot Universal IR shutter to fire my Canon 5D2). I am also waiting on a EF to Sony E mount adaptor so I can drive my lens combo on either of these two cameras.. I am so looking forward to operating with the extended working distance which will free up way more lighting opportunities at the very least. Will watch with more interest Alison! cheers!

AlisonP

Post by AlisonP »

SYPster wrote: I am a similar boat AlisonP
To date I have been using a Yasuhara Nanoha Macro Lens 5:1 on a Sony A7 driven by Stackshot rail then Zerene...for my Myxos and microfossil work.

I have just purchased a second hand Mitty 10x objective, an adaptor from Rafcamera for my 70-200 f2.8 canon lens, and am waiting on a shutter release lead (as I cannot get the stackshot Universal IR shutter to fire my Canon 5D2). I am also waiting on a EF to Sony E mount adaptor so I can drive my lens combo on either of these two cameras.. I am so looking forward to operating with the extended working distance which will free up way more lighting opportunities at the very least. Will watch with more interest Alison! cheers!
Hi SYPster, I am waiting for my adapter to arrive, and eager to see what more detail I can find in myxos! You are SYPster on iNaturalist, yes? Lots of nice slime mold photos there. I post on iNat as Alison_Pollack and also on Instagram as Marin_Mushrooms. Once I start getting good results with the 10x I'll add them to both iNat and Instagram.
Myxomycete and tiny fungi photography is my passionate hobby.
Instagram: @marin_mushrooms

SYPster

Post by SYPster »

Sounds like a great way to go with this kit! Am so looking forward to it. Yep that's me on iNat and am youngsteve100 on insta... and already follow you there... The world of Myxo's is just amazingly photogenic...cheers

AlisonP

Post by AlisonP »

Hi folks, Just to close the loop on this thread, I now have the Mitty 10x and the RAF adapter. I have done some initial stacks and am VERY pleased with the results, though I have some ideas for sure for improvement.

There was zero vignetting on my Sony A7r2 full frame camera using the Canon 70-200mm f4 as the tube lens. withe the Mitty 10x. I have not tried the Mitty at shorter focal lengths because I want that full 10x magnificantion.

I am extremely grateful to those of you who replied to my original post, for all your very helpful comments. And I am grateful to countless others who wrote about their experiences and provide excellent detailed information in so many previous posts that I read before making my purchases.

You guys rock!
Myxomycete and tiny fungi photography is my passionate hobby.
Instagram: @marin_mushrooms

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic