JANSJÖ no more!!!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JW

JANSJÖ no more!!!

Post by JW »

My JANSJÖ LED lamps from IKEA have finally bit the dust, and they are longer sold at our local IKEA (eastern US). Instead, they have been replaced by the nearly identical NÄVLINGE series - reported to have a color temperature of 2700K according to the IKEA website, the same as the now discontinued JANSJÖ.

Anyone have any experience with the using these new NÄVLINGE, before I go to IKEA for them (and Swedish meatballs with lingonberries :P )
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

If I get a chance tomorrow, I will visit our local mini-IKEA and check out the desktop Nävlinge lamps. A few weeks ago, they still had a few, silver Jansjö's. I will compare the two if they still do.
– John

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

The new Navlinge does not appear to be flexible.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I wonder if the original lamp could be tracked down on alibaba.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

There are still a lot of them available on eBay, Amazon, etc. Not as cheap as before though. Eventually the NOS supply will dwindle but for now there is really no panic, supply-wise.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

The Janso lights have horrible CRI. It's worth considering photographic LED light panels instead. An earlier post showcased one with ~95% manufacturer claimed CRI and it's $75 or something.

For anyone in Australia, I do have 5 Janso units I don't want. 2 or 3 are new still in the box. I'll let all of them go for shipping price.

The catch is, I keep 3 of the clamps. So essentially you're getting 2 new units and 3 with the clamp removed. Mounting is quite trivial. I really like the Janso's clamp design. I believe one of them also has the plastic condensing lens removed.

I don't think it's worth the hassle for people overseas but if anyone wants to pay the shipping... yeah I'll arrange it.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:The Janso lights have horrible CRI. It's worth considering photographic LED light panels instead. An earlier post showcased one with ~95% manufacturer claimed CRI and it's $75 or something.

For anyone in Australia, I do have 5 Janso units I don't want. 2 or 3 are new still in the box. I'll let all of them go for shipping price.

The catch is, I keep 3 of the clamps. So essentially you're getting 2 new units and 3 with the clamp removed. Mounting is quite trivial. I really like the Janso's clamp design. I believe one of them also has the plastic condensing lens removed.

I don't think it's worth the hassle for people overseas but if anyone wants to pay the shipping... yeah I'll arrange it.
Yeah, the Jansjos are (were) marketed as "warm white", so are deficient in blue, but are very easy to white balance. Better to be deficient in blue than have an excess like many "white" LEDs.

Edited to add: the Angel Eyes white LED ringlights are pretty hot in blue, and are more difficult to white balance.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

ray_parkhurst wrote:The new Navlinge does not appear to be flexible.
The description of the clamp-equipped Nävlinge on the Swedish Ikea web site says (in Swedish):

"Du kan enkelt rikta ljuset dit du vill eftersom lampans arm och huvud går att justera."

"You can easily direct the light where you wish because the lamp's arm and head can be adjusted".

This seems to indicate some flexibility, or articulated joint.
--ES

Troels

Post by Troels »

According to the pictures only the upper part of the "stem" is flexible. The bottom is a rigid vertical stick. Not a very practical solution.

A positive detail: the LED can be exchanged, so you ca keep the lamp if it burns out.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Troels wrote:According to the pictures only the upper part of the "stem" is flexible. The bottom is a rigid vertical stick. Not a very practical solution.

A positive detail: the LED can be exchanged, so you ca keep the lamp if it burns out.
Failures of LED lamps are almost always due to the driving electronics failing rather than the LED itself.

JW

Post by JW »

So we went to IKEA yesterday supposedly just for some Swedish meatballs. A Jansjo was on display in the upstairs showroom, but none for sale. Did get two of the new NÄVLINGE, in black, with the weighted round base. Have not tested them yet for photography - they seem brighter, more uniform, and indeed the top half of the stem is flexible, retaining its shape much better than the Jansjo, which tended to sag. As Treols noted above, not as flexible as the Jansjo, but still very useful for my purposes. Most likely a suitable replacement for all you Jansjo fans out there!
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see - Henry David Thoreau

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Jansjö is specified as 88 lumens (3000K) at Ikea.se, the Nävlinge is specified as 220 lumens (2700K). If that is correct, the latter should indeed be quite a bit brighter. The long straight portion looks a little unpractical, especially when used with a stereo microscope. But maybe that could be shortened?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic