Optiphot: Can't attach lamphouse to epi illuminator

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

F4

Optiphot: Can't attach lamphouse to epi illuminator

Post by F4 »

I can't seem to attach the epi lamphouse to the end of the epi tube using the screw piece/lens (the "collector lens" as it is called in a manual) that is placed between the lamphouse and the epi tube screw threads, it simply doesn't screw on and hold, it always falls off. I've taped a mason jar ring as a temporary solution to help support the lamphouse to try to stop it from falling but I'd rather have the lamphouse stay as intended and not fall. Is this a common problem of Optiphot epi illuminator tubes? The screw threads look fair to me, as if they should work. It does look like the tube threads are ever so slightly warped (maybe from too much heat?) but it is hard to say if that tiny amount of warping would stop it from screwing on properly. In any case, the threads simply do not grip tight enough to stay on at all anymore. Taping it could potentially sort of work, but again, heat may melt the tape and I don't want that. Has anyone had a similar problem, if so how did you fix it?

https://lavinia.as.arizona.edu/~mtuell/ ... Manual.pdf
On page 4 of this manual, I don't have the "U epi adapter" part and do not know what that is, and I can't find it on eBay. Is that the missing link? What does that piece do? It looks like if you were to slide it through the tube, the filters could not be used.

The closest thing I could find on eBay was this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Microsco ... xyLN9Sim9Q

and this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223710393677?V ... 3710393677

although neither listing has much of a description so I don't know if it would work as a solution or not.

Also, I don't know what Optiphot model I have and don't know how to find out. As far as I know, I have the one that is just simply called "Optiphot" as that is all it says on the microscope itself. Model names I've seen include Optiphot, Optiphot 2, Optiphot 66, Optiphot 100S, 150, 200, 300, Optiphot Biological, and Optiphot Pol.

The collector lens, which slides into and extends from the lamp-house:

does not want to screw into the epi tube threads:

-

Another picture of the collector lens, next to the lamp house but not inside of it, next to the lamp-house power supply unit:

Another picture of the epi threads, and the Nikon/Optiphot logo:
Last edited by F4 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JH

Post by JH »

Hi

There are some discussions on this thread that might be helpful https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=30539

There are different types of Nikon illuminators floating around so please post a picture of the parts that does not work.

Best regards
Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

F4

Post by F4 »

Pictures added.

genera

Re: Optiphot: Can't attach lamphouse to epi illuminator

Post by genera »

F4 wrote: . . .
Model names I've seen include Optiphot, Optiphot 2, Optiphot 66, Optiphot 100S, 150, 200, 300, Optiphot Biological, and Optiphot Pol.
You can eliminate most of these by stage size or shape. For instance the Optiphot 66 has a stage with 6" x 6" of xy travel and the Optiphot 200 has 200 x 200mm travel. The POL has a round stage. The Biological generally only have bottom illumination.
The collector lens, which slides into and extends from the lamp-house:
does not want to screw into the epi tube threads:
Is this due to a size mismatch or damaged threads?
-Gene

F4

Re: Optiphot: Can't attach lamphouse to epi illuminator

Post by F4 »

Is this due to a size mismatch or damaged threads?
I think it is due to mismatched threads. The threads do look slightly warped on the epi illuminator, but the collector lens threads seem slightly too large in diameter for it to screw on properly, regardless if the epi tube is ever so slightly warped or not

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic