Rodenstock indus. lenses: Rodagon - Rogonar S - Ysaron Info

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S.

RobertOToole

Rodenstock indus. lenses: Rodagon - Rogonar S - Ysaron Info

Post by RobertOToole »

Today a box arrived with about 20+ lenses from the eBay seller Discount-optics.

It's been busy here in the office over the last days. Yesterday I finished up a six lens 150mm tube lens test, then a Rodagon 28 arrived from Korea so I tested it against a few others finishing up after 9 PM. :shock:

This is the list of the new Rodenstock lenses that arrived today with some notes:

Rodenstock Ysaron 1:4 f=25
RMS threads!
14 x 20mm
Note: no disk access

Updated 10/25
Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:8 f=35
25mm x 0.5 threads (standard for Schneider)
18 x 25mm
Note: disk removal is possible but it requires some disassembly. No easy access with this lens.
With disk, f/7.8 forward, f/7 reverse, without disk, f/4.5 forward, f/4.38 reverse

Updated 10/25
Rodenstock Rodagon 1:5.6 f=43
No threads
25 x 27mm
Note: disk is easy to reach but the aperture disk is also a element retainer
Disk is easy to open by hand with a sharp bit to 8mm.
With factory disk, f/5.4 forward, f/5.4 reverse, with mod. disk, f/3.9 forward, f/3.8 reverse

Rodenstock Rodagon 1:8 f=60
25 x 32.5mm
Note: disk is easy to reach!

Rodenstock Rogonar-S 1:3.5 f=50
no threads
21 x 21mm

Will update this thread with photos and some test images.

Questions, comments welcome.

Best,

Robert
Last edited by RobertOToole on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

typestar

Re: Rodenstock indus. lenses: Rodagon - Rogonar S - Ysaron I

Post by typestar »

RobertOToole wrote:Today a box arrived with about 20+ lenses ... Questions, comments welcome.
Robert, it will be nice to read again your appreciated tests :D
and to see whether some of these disregarded lenses out there could work well for us.

Best,
Christian

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

typestar wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:Today a box arrived with about 20+ lenses ... Questions, comments welcome.
Robert, it will be nice to read again your appreciated tests :D
and to see whether some of these disregarded lenses out there could work well for us.

Best,
Christian
Thanks Typestar.

The Ysaron 4/25 looks okay stacked but some slight CAs.

The Rogonar-S 3.5/50 looks better, sharp and no CAs. At least here at 1.8x it looks like this one has better CA control than my APO-Rodagon 2.8/50! :shock:

100% view center stacked on 5.6/90 mejiro tube lens

dickb

Post by dickb »

RobertOToole wrote:Today a box arrived with about 20+ lenses from the eBay seller Discount-optics.

It's been busy here in the office over the last days. Yesterday I finished up a six lens 150mm tube lens test, then a Rodagon 28 arrived from Korea so I tested it against a few others finishing up after 9 PM. :shock:

This is the list of the new Rodenstock lenses that arrived today with some notes:

Rodenstock Ysaron
1:4 f=25
RMS threads!
14 x 20mm

Rodenstock Rogonar-S
1:8 f=35
18 x 25mm
Note: no disk access so far

Rodenstock Rodagon
1:5.6 f=43
No threads
25 x 27mm

Rodenstock Rodagon
1:8 f=60
25 x 32.5mm

Rodenstock Rogonar-S
1:3.5 f=50
no threads
21 x 21mm

Will update this thread with photos and some test images.

Questions, comments welcome.

Best,

Robert
Very interesting indeed. Any idea of the aperture value of the Rodagon 43mm with its aperture disc removed?

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

wow, sounds like a lot of work :)
looking forward to the results, although personally I'm very curious about more high-end lenses comparison - amazing as those cheaper lenses can be with performance/value ration, in the absolute scale I suspect very few can compete with the more expensive lenses.

I was looking for more info about some of the lenses here and while at first I failed, I eventually found a page from John Jovic which might be interesting to the members here (or maybe it's well known anyway)
http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

there are some links there to detail articles about some lenses and some datasheets with MTF curves. for example the Rogonar-S 50/2.8:

http://www.photocornucopia.com/archive/ ... 2.8-50.pdf

and more strange stuff on his site:
http://www.photocornucopia.com/index.html

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dickb wrote:
Very interesting indeed. Any idea of the aperture value of the Rodagon 43mm with its aperture disc removed?
I have to work on that one, the 43mm has a center section and two end sections with shims. Looks like the disk is small and it threaded in place with a tiny spot of glue. I tried turning that small disk and it didn't budge. I will shoot and image and post it.

With the 57 and the 60, the disk is very thin material and is easy to pop out.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:wow, sounds like a lot of work :)
looking forward to the results, although personally I'm very curious about more high-end lenses comparison - amazing as those cheaper lenses can be with performance/value ration, in the absolute scale I suspect very few can compete with the more expensive lenses.

I was looking for more info about some of the lenses here and while at first I failed, I eventually found a page from John Jovic which might be interesting to the members here (or maybe it's well known anyway)
http://www.photocornucopia.com/1061.html

there are some links there to detail articles about some lenses and some datasheets with MTF curves. for example the Rogonar-S 50/2.8:

http://www.photocornucopia.com/archive/ ... 2.8-50.pdf

and more strange stuff on his site:
http://www.photocornucopia.com/index.html
There is always the linos distributors site:

https://www.qioptiq-shop.com/en/Precisi ... on-Lenses/?

Choose the lens line, this is the Rogonar-S line:

https://www.qioptiq-shop.com/en/Precisi ... nar-S.html?

There is a tab for Docs+Drawings.

Schneider has the same:

https://schneiderkreuznach.com/en/compa ... /downloads

Industrial optics > data sheets> to see all the PDFs available

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

chris_ma wrote:wow, sounds like a lot of work :)
The shooting or actually testing is the easy part, just thread on the right adapter, mount the lens on the setup. Power up the flash and run a stack. Done. :shock:

By far the hardest and most time consuming part? :(

Photographing the lens, spotting all the specks of dust, processing the crops and posting all the results.

But its worth all the time and trouble since the results are easy to reference in the future.

I can't believe how many times I've referred to my own site for some test results when I need to look up best aperture for a certain lens, or for a filter thread size.:roll:
Same here. In August I ran some 50mm EL lenses I had gathering dust on the shelf and what a waste of time that was, out of 10 lenses maybe 1 was sharp at 100% view.

Seriously I almost dumped the whole stack of lenses in the trash bin. :shock:

High-end performance for a low-low cost is ideal :o

Thinking about it though, some of my best finds, like the Minolta 5400, cost me almost nothing, the first was an entire $50 and maybe $80 for the second. I've picked up a Rayact 3.5/80 for free net cost. :) Another Rayfact, the GF 2x, cost me $100. My first Componon 4/28 was free (net). Also a 2.8/50 Componon Makro-iris was free net. My Rayfact 1.4x VL was $300.

On the other hand some high-end lenses turned out to be complete duds. The APO-Digitar 5.6/80. The Makro-symmar 5.6/80. The APO-Rodagon 2.8/50 that is anything but APO! :shock:

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hope enough details are visible.

L-R, Rodenstock Ysaron 25mm, Rogonar-S 35, Rodagon 43, Rogonar-S 50, Rogonar-S 57mm, Rodagon 60, APO-Rodagon 50.

typestar

Har work of testing

Post by typestar »

RobertOToole wrote: By far the hardest and most time consuming part? :(
But its worth all the time and trouble since the results are easy to reference in the future.
High-end performance for a low-low cost is ideal :o
Robert, just to say it once more:

I think here are many users / (mostly quiet?) readers, who appreciate your hard work of testing -- as the work of all the testers here -
which is the spirit and the soul of this nice forum... :D
There are a few only with this kind of experience and shared results are a benefit for all of us.

Thankyou.

Christian

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Robert,

You amaze at finding these "jewels in the rough" lenses!! From the $17 AmScope 4X to the Di5400 (both of which I have) and so on.

Like Christian, many thanks for all the efforts.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:Robert,

You amaze at finding these "jewels in the rough" lenses!! From the $17 AmScope 4X to the Di5400 (both of which I have) and so on.

Best,
Thanks for taking time to comment Mike!

Each and every time I think about taking a break from testing, something always ends up pulling me back to the studio :D

Last night I spent some time testing one of the ultra low-cost Rogonar-S lenses the 3.5/50 at 2.2x.

The results surprised me I have to say, I'm impressed. I'll post the test results later.

APO-Rodagon 50mm owners aren't going to like me after I post the results. :shock:

Best,

Robert

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

RobertOToole wrote:
mawyatt wrote:Robert,

Best,
Thanks for taking time to comment Mike!

Each and every time I think about taking a break from testing, something always ends up pulling me back to the studio :D

Last night I spent some time testing one of the ultra low-cost Rogonar-S lenses the 3.5/50 at 2.2x.

The results surprised me I have to say, I'm impressed. I'll post the test results later.

APO-Rodagon 50mm owners aren't going to like me after I post the results. :shock:

Best,

Robert
Robert,

I just got a Componon-S 2.8/50 per Miljenko (Mike) recommendation here:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=

for ~2X but haven't had a chance to play with some ~100mm lenses with it yet. These Piezo stages are keeping me busy for now.

Hopefully the Componon will be good enough and I won't have to get more lenses :roll:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

dickb

Post by dickb »

RobertOToole wrote:The shooting or actually testing is the easy part, just thread on the right adapter, mount the lens on the setup. Power up the flash and run a stack. Done. :shock:

By far the hardest and most time consuming part? :(

Photographing the lens, spotting all the specks of dust, processing the crops and posting all the results.
I appreciate the clean look of your site, but if it means you test fewer lenses than you otherwise would, my vote in this nonexistent poll goes to more lens testing (even though I own some Apo Rodagon 50s..)

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:
I just got a Componon-S 2.8/50 per Miljenko (Mike) recommendation here:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... highlight=

for ~2X but haven't had a chance to play with some ~100mm lenses with it yet. These Piezo stages are keeping me busy for now.

Hopefully the Componon will be good enough and I won't have to get more lenses :roll:

Best,
I've featured the CNP-S 50 a couple of times in tests over the years, I think I own three different versions, one pre-set aperture industrial version, the plastic enlarger lens with the green stripe, and the metal machine vision makro-iris version.

The strength of the lens is central sharpness but the designers chose to make that a priority over CA correction and corner sharpness but they aren't the only ones, that seems to be common with most EL lenses.

They are a nice buy online, especially the all-metal body makro-iris version, sometimes you can catch one for only $100.

100mm tube lenses are tough to find. The Rodenstock S-3 110mm is excellent as a TL, not so much as a taking lens, but unless you internally mount it, the lack of front threads can be a hassle. The Componon 5.6/100 works great with some lenses but not so well with others.

The 120-135 range is a heck of a lot easier to find a good TL. There are tons of great lenses choices for that FL. I just tested something like 6-8 EL lenses at the 135mm FL recently.

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic