Universal multiple layer "diffuser" ...

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Universal multiple layer "diffuser" ...

Post by Yawns »

I like to have several layers of diffusion with some separation rather than a single layer diffuser...
I'm working like that for sometime and I built all sort of things...

Like "Canopies"
Imagez1 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

or "Matryoshkas" where a diffuser fits the antecedent..
Imagez2 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

so far so good as I was using cheap materials like plastic, tracing paper, baking paper, plastic foam film....

But lately I got not so cheap Lee diffuser sheets, and 2 sheets of 12 x 12 inches were consumed very fast...

So I started to figure a way to make it more practical and multi-use...
A ring with several circular slots where I can fit loose rectangles of diffuser.

ImageScreenshot 2019-09-22 at 23.07.50 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

- So I can experiment with different materials and also make mixes .
- Add or remove layers to control the exposure time and the degree of diffusion
- I can change de diameter of the smallest tube to fit insects / objects of different sizes ( I like the last layer as close as possible to the object / insect)
- Use it on different objective diameters adjusting the grip with a bit of tape around the objective barrel.
- I can pull / push the layers to fit different working distances.

Without having to build a new diffuser every time I want to change anything of the above.

Did a design and ordered a print of a prototype, to "feel" the real thing, because I never had anything in 3D printed on my hand .. much less I had something printed before.
Above all I was very curious about the quality of the piece they would send me and especially if the printer would be able to deal well with these 1,5 mm wide circular slots.
Imagep3 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

The piece I received is good .. but the design doesn't ...
- The opening in the ring is too wide and the slots are very close together.

Imagep2 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

So I drew another one .. with more space between the slots and a tighter opening (but I didn't have it printed)

ImageScreenshot 2019-09-27 at 13.04.28 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Today while walking the dogs I realized I was being foolish ... I don't need to increase the space between slots ... I may keep the same slot density and just increase the number of slots .. if I want more space between layers I can just use one slot in every two or something like that .. and I will have more diameter options.

I don't need any opening in the ring .. i can control the width of the diffuser opening with the length of the diffuser rectangles. So I can get the most out of the circle ... I just neeed to leave a "column" that keeps the structure rigid. ...

ImageScreenshot 2019-09-27 at 22.24.53 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Any suggestion ?
Sometimes a person directs thought in one direction and is unable to see the obvious simplicity ....

If this works I will do 3 ...
One with 17-18 mm inner diameter that will fit the Lomo 3.7x, Zeiss Semiplan 6.3x ... (without the outer barrel)...

Another one with 27-28 mm that will work with the AmScope and Nikon CFI (I think) ...

and a bigger one with 34mm or something like that that I think will fit the Mitutoyo .. at least I checked the 5X on the site and the outer barrel is 32.2mm. ( I don'ty have any)

the inner diameters cannot be tight ... or the lenses will be scratched.
Last edited by Yawns on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Very interesting idea!!

I've tried this with styrofoam cups suspended in-between with toothpicks, very flimsy and limited, your solution is much better. With 2 Levels of cups the light loss is very high, but you can select the diffusion material...nice idea!!

BTW also like your "Canopies"!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Thank you
My "canopies" are very much like your cups.. except I used "Kebab" sticks instead of toothpicks :D

I'm using Lee #216 and #400 ... both stop 1 1/2. With 3 layers i get exposures of about 1/4... 1/6 with the Olympus and electronic shutter.

When I was using the "canopies" and the Nikon DSLR .. I would also lay kitchen roll sheets over the canopy to increase the exposure to 1 - 2 seconds.. to dissipate de curtain kick of Nikon..

António

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Yawns wrote:Thank you
My "canopies" are very much like your cups.. except I used "Kebab" sticks instead of toothpicks :D
I once accidentally bought a package of these instead of disposal chop sticks when I was in a hurry.

I've thought about using them for a similar purpose, but so far, PVC structures seem like they're better.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Since some are asking in PM on Facebook and here if I share the *,STL files for 3D print I will make the files available (when I find out how to make this available to the public on google drive .. maybe tomorrow)

Meanwhile also did a table (to make it easier) with the required length of diffuser paper for each slot (and depending on the opening width you want in the diffuser ... some like it tighter others wider) - Excell spreadsheet. Will provide it too...

I hope the calculations are fine:
The full length of a circle is = PI x Diameter .. (3,14 x D) ... if I want a 30º aperture I have to deduct a 30º arch on every slot .. so the 30º arch length is 1/12 of the circle length (360/30) .. then the necessary paper will be the length of the complete circle minus 1/12 th of that length.

(I hope I am thinking right .. my head is not very good lately)..
45º is 1/8 ... 60º is 1/6 .... and the same reasoning.

I designed 3 ... based on the few cheap lenses I have.
One (17mm) is for Lomo and Zeiss Semiplan (without exteriror capsule)...
One 27mm should to fit the CFI Nikons (achromatic) ...
One is for mitutoyo (I dont have any.. but I could see in their site the M Plan have all a 32,2mm dimeter barrel so I did it 33,5 mm interior.

when it's available tomorrow:
Print at your own risk .. I did not print it yet. (just one prototype)
My advice is to use office paper and check the measures, before cutting expensive stuff like LEE diffuser sheet.

ImageScreenshot 2019-10-04 at 21.13.24 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Years ago I had a similar idea and used an old stainless steel "spiral" from my days of developing 120/220 film.

I used drawing-office variety tracing film. It goes in the same way film does and you can use as many turns as you feel like.

Sorry, but if you're too young that won't meen a thing to you!
The "middle" varies. Mine was more open than this one:
Chris R

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

ChrisR wrote:Years ago I had a similar idea and used an old stainless steel "spiral" from my days of developing 120/220 film.

I used drawing-office variety tracing film. It goes in the same way film does and you can use as many turns as you feel like.

Sorry, but if you're too young that won't meen a thing to you!
The "middle" varies. Mine was more open than this one:
I know what you mean... I'm 56 yo ... I used a lot of drawing-office tracing film, because my High-School vocational area was oriented to "fine-arts" / Design / Architecture .. had 3 full school years of "Descriptive Geometry" (not sure if the direct translation works for you)
That's why I love to draw stuff so much.. failed to go to "fine arts" college (mainly for financial reasons...)

In Portugal we call it "engineer paper" , hard to find these days in the street shops ... because of the CAD.
I never developed film but I know what a spiral is....

Tomorrow I will show the "inspiration" .. it's almost a plagiarism.. I should pay copyrights, and it was in front of my nose everyday :D
I don't know how to translate the name to English... and I don't want to use a picture from the net.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

this tool ... I don't know the name (even in Portuguese)
it was right before my eyes every time I went to the shed... had "ideas" before, but now CAD and affordable 3D printing made it possible.

ImageIMG_20191005_003351 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

In English, that tool would be called a "hole saw." The ones I've seen and used do not have interchangeable blades like yours; rather, one typically buys a set of individual hole saws in different sizes. But looking just now, I see some sets like yours under the search term "multi blade hole saw."

Very cool, what you're doing!

--Chris S.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

almost forgot about this thing, as I am running so many things at once...

Sent the *.STL files to print ...
4 of them ... 66 Euros after VAT and shipping... I hope to have them this week (or maybe not)

17mm (interior) diameter - For Lomo 3,7x and alike...
27 mm - for Nikon CFI (fit's the samples I have around...)
34 - for Mitutoyo - even if I have none. But will suit enlarger lenses with 25mm thread in the back (I have a few)
46mm - for Leica M39 system enlarging lenses.
Enlarging lenses will need a "tube" alternating 4-6 step/up step/Down rings...

All with 6 slots of 1,5mm for the thinner and and for the thicker materials...
All with 3,5mm of solid plastic between slots.

ImageScreenshot 2019-10-21 at 19.41.02 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot 2019-10-21 at 22.21.45 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot 2019-10-21 at 22.17.19 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

Yawns wrote:
4 of them ... 66 Euros after VAT and shipping...
OMG, Antonio, this is a rip off! You are talking about printing plastics? Or maybe machinig metal?
I would print it for you for 0.66 € plus postage!
Send me a p.m. if I can help.
Best regards,
Miljenko
All things are number - Pythagoras

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Miljenko wrote:
Yawns wrote:
4 of them ... 66 Euros after VAT and shipping...
OMG, Antonio, this is a rip off! You are talking about printing plastics? Or maybe machinig metal?
I would print it for you for 0.66 € plus postage!
Send me a p.m. if I can help.
Best regards,
Miljenko
Hello Mijhenko, thank you... mainly thanks for the lens tests that i have been reading and reading again and it has been very useful to me .. I have already acquired one lens based on these tests.
The price seemed reasonable to me ... I tested several sites across Europe and the prices that this one in Portugal practices are identical to all the ones I tested (only those where it is possible to do "drag & drop" the STL and see in real time the cost of a piece...
it's 4 pieces with prices ranging from 9 euros to 20 ...)

Yes it is plastic .. PLAS (Back). Printed with 100% filling .. There are several filling options from 20 to 100%.

I have never seen 3D printing in my life, so I can't compare, but the prototype that I made and ordered a print before in this company seemed very good ...

They are companies .. have to invest money on machinery, rent a space, pay taxes, pay Social Security .. and have to make a profit and a living too, they can't sell things at the same cost as a private can do at home .. I don't know.

I did not feel it as a Rip.Off ... but I know nothing about this subject, and I am a bit naif by nature:) ...

Thank you for your will to help ...

(just got a phone call from the office telling me the parcel is there.. I will have them tonight)

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

I think I have a difuser system ....

6 layers of tracing paper .. If I remember well it's 90 grams / m^2

Arrived today.. ( got one extra .. I don't know why) using the small one for Lomo / Zeiss Semiplan

First try .. no correction needed for hair edge, haze or halos in the background...

Oly M-10 II ; Lomo 3,7 ; 1/2 Iso 200 : steps 45 micron : 66 frames x3 - Led Panels - Wemacro rail

Image73271158_183788829453389_8075594498614231040_o by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

as it came out of the Stacking software.. just stitched with Affinity Photo

Imageaaaaaaa by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20191025_000001 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Imageant0001 by antonio caseiro, on Flickr

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Uploaded to google drive a ZIP file containing the STL Files, an excell sheet and a PDF explaining the whole idea...

You can download the STL files and 3D print if you like.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DlsvId ... sp=sharing

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

great idea and lovely results!

Lee and Rosco make a variety of nice diffusion materials, the most common and useful one is probably Full White Diffusion (Lee 216).
I find they are good value (around 10EUR for a square meter), problem is that they usually are sold in either full rolls or overpriced sheets.
Thomann has them in sheets at ok prices, or if you have a movie rental house nearby you could ask them, they usually have scrap that they give away for free.

probably more effective, more neutral then tracing paper (and fire resistant too ;)
chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic