Comparing macro lenses using MTF - invitation

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jurkovicovic

Post by jurkovicovic »

Of course it would be perfect, a huge lens table, with results MTF10, MTF50 and megapixel sensor recommendations :D
canon EOS *

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

RDolz wrote: I understand that it is very complicated to have several bodies with their adapters, but, for example: Do you have any comparative measurement of the same lens mounted on the different APSC sensors of the Fuji series (16, 24 or 26 Mpx) ?.
The best
You should keep in mind I'm doing all those test for pure fun and without any financial support from any side. I have bought Imatest program back in 2004. when I was doing lens reviews and tests for national photography magazine. Investing in testing gear and software made sense back then but now it's just mad scientist stuff my wife is not happy about. She's probably right when she says that after two hard attacks I should be hiking instead of spending so much time in the lab. :roll:
Prior owning Fujifilm X-T2 I had X-T1 (16 Mp X-Trans sensor) and measured couple of lenses that were later tested using X-T2. As expected, only lenses with very high resolution produced significantly higher figures with 24 Mp sensor. If you find it interesting, I can provide comparative figures for those cases.
All things are number - Pythagoras

Miljenko

Post by Miljenko »

chris_ma wrote: Is there a way to replicate your setup or is there any special gear/test target needed?
chris
Nothing really special here: Fuji X-T2 mounted on motorized macro rail, backlit double edge razor blade slanted at ~6 degrees, shot approx. 30 raw frames at 1/10 DoF movement. Raw to tiff conversion using Capture One v.10 or 11 with default presharpening, processed with Imatest SW, best center and edge figures selected (usually not from the same shot due to focusing plane curvature). So, as you see, it is pretty straightforward to copy and repeat this process with the same or different camera. If you need any details or setup pics, don't hesitate to contact me.
All things are number - Pythagoras

RDolz

Post by RDolz »

Miljenko wrote: You should keep in mind I'm doing all those test for pure fun and without any financial support from any side. I have bought Imatest program back in 2004. when I was doing lens reviews and tests for national photography magazine. Investing in testing gear and software made sense back then but now it's just mad scientist stuff my wife is not happy about. She's probably right when she says that after two hard attacks I should be hiking instead of spending so much time in the lab. :roll:
Prior owning Fujifilm X-T2 I had X-T1 (16 Mp X-Trans sensor) and measured couple of lenses that were later tested using X-T2. As expected, only lenses with very high resolution produced significantly higher figures with 24 Mp sensor. If you find it interesting, I can provide comparative figures for those cases.
Miljenko: I understand you perfectly. If our wives met, they would surely become friends. I agree with the hiking. :lol:

If it doesn't involve additional work, I'd love to see that comparison between the X-t1 and the X-t2.

Just as a thought: Don't you think that the MTF measure could also bring clarity to the issue of resolving power against the "outresolving sensor"?

It would be wonderful to have a table of MTF figures for lenses and camera sensors, ... although, without a doubt, it is an endless work that greatly exceeds our possibilities.

So, if you let me, let's relax and enjoy the journey of our lives. :wink:
Ramón Dolz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic