Nikon RayFact 3.5x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Antal wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote: What I see is what I hoped to see, ie that the Rayfact and 105IXL are very similar at f4. This gives me some additional confidence in both results, as it seems they are both diffraction-limited. The RayFact is clearly better at f2.4, so it appears I have made a wise purchase with this lens.
T.4he Linos looks sharper than the rayfact at f4.0 to me.
But anyway, you did right, as the rayfact at f2.4 is the clear winner..
Hmm, looks like I accidentally swapped the f4 images. You can tell which is which since the white balance is a little off, and the two from the RayFact lens are better aligned and same exact mag. The Rodenstock has a reddish hue while RayFact images have greenish hue. Again, pardon my laziness but in this case it made it easier to spot the swap.

Fixed now, and I think the conclusion is the RayFact looks ever so slightly sharper at f4 than the Rodenstock.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Macro_Cosmos wrote:Man ~$1700? That's still a lot. Should have sent me a PM and I'll get it for you for the original price of 5000 yuan, which is about $750. I can just act as an intermediate translator while you talk to the seller, won't even ask for a tip since we're on the same forums with the same passion.

I didn't buy it because I was put off with the extremely long extension required and yeah, kind of out of funds :P

Anyhow, congrats on the purchase, it's one kind of a lens and it's a heavy beast! I'd love to see some photos of your setup, just in case another pops up, I'll get my hands on it hopefully.

-- MC

I guess it was on a Chinese-language auction site for much less? I would not have even seen it since I would not know where to look nor could I read the description.

So...what else is selling cheap that will eventually make it to eBay? This was the first and only one of this lens I've ever seen available which is why I snapped it up. Plus, it was essentially new, and they are still selling new for $12.5k. Do you see others available now for the $750, because others on this forum might want a copy.

Are there good links to these cheap sites which might be accessible for language-challenged folk such as me?

I'll send you a message.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I was watching that lens with intentions to save up for it if it lasted, but I was put off by finding two listings from different sellers using the same photo. They had different prices. I had learned from Robert O'Toole that this was a common practice among Chinese fake owners who find stuff cheap on Chinese sites and try to resell the things on eBay for a steep mark-up. So I figured ithis lens was on a Chinese site for much less, but couldn't do anything about it.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:I was watching that lens with intentions to save up for it if it lasted, but I was put off by finding two listings from different sellers using the same photo. They had different prices. I had learned from Robert O'Toole that this was a common practice among Chinese fake owners who find stuff cheap on Chinese sites and try to resell the things on eBay for a steep mark-up. So I figured ithis lens was on a Chinese site for much less, but couldn't do anything about it.
I think the second seller listed the lens just after I bought it from the first seller. It initially made me think there were a bunch of lenses coming on the market, which would be good, but right after my receiving notification that the lens was shipping, the second seller took down his listing, so I think there was just one lens. Weird market over there! It's probably the same situation for the many 105mm Printing-Nikkors for sale. I'd bet as soon as one is sold, most of the other auctions will end.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Unfortunately, looks like I'll have to put the RF3p5 on the shelf while I work on some other items. I need to build a completely new setup for sensor-pan stitching, and it's going to take a while. I wasn't motivated enough by the performance of the 105IXL to build a whole system around it, given its NA (0.1) was the same as the 95PN I was already using. But I'm ready to build a system around the RF3p5. Its higher NA (0.16) gives enough boost in IQ, and it has enough coverage, to move to sensor-pan stitching at m=3.5. I have a design ready that will pan the camera X and Y across a 100mm image circle, and most components purchased, so almost ready to go. I'm glad I waited, since the stand needs to be quite a bit taller (!!) for the RF3p5 vs the 105IXL. The 24" posts I had reserved won't cut it. I had purchased some 36" for other uses, and now it seems those will for the basis of the new stand. Should be a very interesting project on its own.

Further work on finding optimum aperture will have to wait until the new system is ready.

rockycarter

large glass very large lens

Post by rockycarter »

Ray you had a link up some time ago. It was a nikon lens i have never seen before. So i purchased it. Well received that lens. Ray i will share a couple of images of the lens. This lens is huge plus very heavy. Its like a giant microscope objective. The person i purchased it from. Tried to explain that this is used some times with a special large bellows. The bellows would have a bolting plate. I know i dont have anything that big. I will share a couple of pictures with you. like to know your thoughts on this lens Image
Rocky Carter

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Ah, I had been watching those and wondering about them for a while. Mainly from Thailand. The blue coating scared me. On the original machine, I do not think there is any bellows.

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

I agree with you lou. But the bellows he showed me lou. it had a rodentstock lens mounted on it. That rodentstock was even bigger than this lens. It has a large bolting plate. To attach the lens to this bellows. The bellows is huge. I think this might be for a large format camera. Have a great one
Rocky Carter

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Good to hear from you rocky!

It was not obvious from the auction description that the lens would be so large! I had a similar thing happen to me a while back. I saw a "5x" lens for sale for a decent price (though shipping was expensive...first clue), and it looked harmless enough, so I bought it. Turns out the lens was HUGE, weighing something like 10lbs. I ended up sending it back as I had no way to use it.

This Nikon isn't quite that big, so perhaps it can at least be tested to see how it performs. I'd suggest setting it on its side, maybe on a pillow to keep it stable and level, and set a camera (without lens) on some books until its sensor lies along the optical axis. Set up a suitable subject in similar fashion, then move the camera and subject around until you find something that will focus. Then experiment!

Oh, and do this in a dark room to avoid stray light getting into the camera.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Rocky, the eBay listings for these often show the set-up. There is almost no extra space, no extension. It looks like the subject and sensor attach to the flanges on the lens. No bellows.

Ray, was that a photolithography lens?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:Rocky, the eBay listings for these often show the set-up. There is almost no extra space, no extension. It looks like the subject and sensor attach to the flanges on the lens. No bellows.

Ray, was that a photolithography lens?
Yes, an early e-line one made by GE. It was cheap but shipping was high. Was on eBay for months.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Rocky, here is the set-up (photo not mine, from eBay listing):

The set-up is very compact, like the Kubotek Rayfact set-ups.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I received the 65mm protection circle to M42x1(M) adapter today, and it prompted me to measure the exit pupil at "f2.8" interim stop between f2.4 and f4. I can confirm that the stop is indeed at f2.8, so I don't need to go back and correct my assumptions...

The opening/aperture on the M42 threaded end of the adapter is 38mm, and with the physical distance of 435mm from the back of the lens to the sensor, this gives an effective aperture of ~f11.4, or nominal ~f2.5. Indeed the adapter very slightly obscures the internal aperture at f2.4, and the internal aperture is slightly smaller than the adapter at f2.8, so all looks to be correct. So given the performance of the lens at f2.4 vs f2.8, I feel comfortable using the lens with the adapter, and it makes attachment much simpler. My original calculation used the full extension of 505mm (which includes the distance from flange to rear of lens), giving f13.3 effective / f2.95 nominal, so I believed this would be too limiting, but in reality the adapter should work fine.

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

Ray i am presently moving, to a new location. I wanted to let you know all the parts are on there way to properly mount this lens. I have all the info i need to put together a proper mount for my camera. I will post some pictures as soon as everything is assembled. The machinist that is going to do the welding. He has informed me that this will be no problem to build. I will be back in a while. have a great one.
Rocky Carter

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Rocky, good luck with your move. Did you see the above photos of the original lens set-up? No bellows are needed...the set-up is very compact.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic