"OEM Nikon 20x 0.75 VC" cover slip thickness

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I am beginning some tests of all three types now with a wafer and different thicknesses of cover slips. I'm nearly sure they will only differ in the optimal thickness of the cover slips and/or media thickness, their working distances, and maybe their UV color correction.

DavyC

Re: "OEM Nikon 20x 0.75 VC" cover slip thickness

Post by DavyC »

Stepping back in time with this thread, but only noticed it after pulling the trigger on one of the OEM Nikon 20x Gene Sequencer Objectives. 0500-0087. I just after, realized the short 1.0mm working distance.
Lighting is going to be a challenge, let alone using it. Is it more suited to microscope use?, or will it be workable in a macro rail? Has any more information about the objective been learned?

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Coverslip thickness: 0.4mm
Two models, difference is tiny, I can't see any pictorial difference.
From genetic sequencers (Illumina Hi-Seq 2000 GaiiX).
Claims of it being a PlanApo 20x VC originated from the person recycling loads of these retired devices, VC or not, it needs to be tested.

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

I have sourced 0.4mm Haemocytometer coverslips, as standard slip types only go up to 0.2mm.

The ebay sellers who were a little creative with the specification claims can be forgiven, as long as the objectives work as hoped.

Just need Lou to reopen the investigation.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

DavyC wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:03 am
Stepping back in time with this thread, but only noticed it after pulling the trigger on one of the OEM Nikon 20x Gene Sequencer Objectives. 0500-0087. I just after, realized the short 1.0mm working distance.
Lighting is going to be a challenge, let alone using it. Is it more suited to microscope use?, or will it be workable in a macro rail? Has any more information about the objective been learned?
1mm is surprisingly workable with the right lights, but you'll have a better time with traditional microscope usage. Quality is very good.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, quality is excellent and image circle is fairly large. Sorry I have been so busy with other tests that I need for my work, but I still hope to make some side-by side comparisons.

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

1mm is surprisingly workable with the right lights, but you'll have a better time with traditional microscope usage. Quality is very good.
I thought that would be the answer. Just have to put a new scope on the wish list.
Thanks

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Yes, quality is excellent and image circle is fairly large. Sorry I have been so busy with other tests that I need for my work, but I still hope to make some side-by side comparisons.
Good to hear it's a high quality piece with a large image circle.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic