2X Line Scan vs Scanner Lens Test

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

2X Line Scan vs Scanner Lens Test

Post by RobertOToole »

11 lenses at 2x:

Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens

Minolta DiMAGE Elite 5400 Scanner Lens

Rayfact GF 80mm f4 Line Scan Lens

Rodenstock Scitex S-3 67mm Scanner Lens

Rodenstock Scitex S-3 89mm Scanner Lens

Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm f/3.5 Scanner Lens

Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm f/5.6 Scanner Lens

Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f5.6 Scanner Lens

Schneider APO-Componon 45mm f4 Makro Iris Machine Vision Lens

Schneider 85mm Macro Varon CAS Line Scan Lens

Tominon 35mm f4.5 Macro Lens

The test subject

Crop areas

The lenses are shown here in alphabetical order.

To see all of my notes on the comparisons just visit the full test page on my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test-2018

The images below are also available at 2500 pixel and 100% view.

To see the full size image just click on the image to open a new window with a larger version. You can also right or two finger click to open in a new window or save image as to view later or in another app.

The crops areas are L to R, Corner, Edge, Off-center, and center. These should be viewed at 2500 pixels.

The test set-up

Camera: Sony A6300.
Sensor size: 23.5 × 15.6 mm. APS-C. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

A series of images was shot with each lens in 4 micron steps, and the sharpest image was chosen for center, edge, and corner Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view.
All images were shot as a single RAW files and processed in PS CC with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All of the images shown here are single files.

Final Test Results
For more notes see the test page on my site, link near the top of the post.

Best:
1. Minolta DiMAGE Elite 5400 Scanner Lens
Untouchable sharpness and chromatic correction.

2. Schneider 85mm Macro Varon CAS Line Scan Lens
Best lens for a larger image circle.

3. Rayfact GF 80mm f4 Line Scan Lens
Excellent CA performance at 0.5x forward and 2x in reverse.

4. Tominon 35mm f4.5 Macro Lens
Best Value, Fourth place for $40. Second and third place cost over $4000.

5. Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens
6. Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm f/3.5 Scanner Lens
7. Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm f/5.6 Scanner Lens
8. Rodenstock Scitex S-3 89mm Scanner Lens
9. Rodenstock Scitex S-3 67mm Scanner Lens
10. Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f5.6 Scanner Lens

Worst
11. Schneider APO-Componon 45mm f4 Makro Iris Machine Vision Lens
This is my fourth and best copy so no this is not a sample variation issue.

Out of range at and not optimized for 2x
8. Rodenstock Scitex S-3 89mm Scanner Lens
9. Rodenstock Scitex S-3 67mm Scanner Lens

Questions and comments welcome.

Robert

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Another notable piece of work, well done!
It's a magnification range where there are so many options.

The obvious standout is the M5400, though the Macro Varon is impressive, for a lens which adjusts from 1:1 to 1:2.
Tominons aren't common at all in the UK, and I gather from yourself and others that they're pretty variable. So the rejects circulate on ebay!
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Great tests again. Thanks for sharing.

That DImage 5400 continues to rule the roost. Amazing performance, especially compared to the 4-figure competition! I'd have been *very* disappointed if I'd ever decided to splurge on a Rayfact or similar - and forever grateful to you for your testing as it probably saved me from experiencing just such an upset in the near future :)

On a related note: I thought prices for the DImage scanners were beginning to plateau or even drop on Ebay in the UK. But it seems it was just a temporary lull. They're back to being over £400 a pop now.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ChrisR wrote:Another notable piece of work, well done!
It's a magnification range where there are so many options.
Thanks Chris.
The obvious standout is the M5400, though the Macro Varon is impressive, for a lens which adjusts from 1:1 to 1:2.
The official MV range is 0.5x - 2x BTW.
Tominons aren't common at all in the UK, and I gather from yourself and others that they're pretty variable. So the rejects circulate on ebay!

Yes thats true.

If you do buy a lemon and don't test, or have a good copy to compare, you could easily enjoy the lower performing lens that is still producing nice work, just at a slightly lower image quality. :D

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Beatsy wrote:Great tests again. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the interest.
That DImage 5400 continues to rule the roost. Amazing performance, especially compared to the 4-figure competition! I'd have been *very* disappointed if I'd ever decided to splurge on a Rayfact or similar - and forever grateful to you for your testing as it probably saved me from experiencing just such an upset in the near future :)
Luckily I picked up the Rayfact for a can't pass on it price. Most of the Rayfax lenses do cover a large image circle than the Minolta, the GF is one of the few designed for 24x36. The other Rayfact I own the VL covers 62mm, similar for the Macro Varon so if you buy one it would cover a move to a Phase one :shock:
On a related note: I thought prices for the DImage scanners were beginning to plateau or even drop on Ebay in the UK. But it seems it was just a temporary lull. They're back to being over £400 a pop now.
That's interesting.

I keep hoping that somewhere there is a entire case of spare lenses that someone saved when from the garbage bin that will make more lenses available but I think Minolta sold just a fraction of the number of Nikon Scanners sold so there is a smaller supply. But I am sure there is a scanner repair guy out there with a shelf full of Minolta 5400s just collecting dust.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I'd actually love to get hold of a working 5400. The one I bought was broken, so I did not feel bad about salvaging the lens, but I have a bunch of slides to scan and would like to use a convenient and high performance scanner. I may try for another one and see if I can get it to work.

One thing to be wary of with the 5400 is that it requires a pretty short total extension to achieve 2x, and the working distance is fairly short. It's too short for me to use as a stitching lens at 2x, given lighting requirements for coins. Plus, the short WD makes the change in light angles have a bad effect on image-to-image lighting consistency. So if you're looking to do stitching, the 5400 may not be the best choice. But for single/stacked shots it can do very well...if you can get the total extension short enough!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Great set of results, Robert. I'd just like to mention that it is at 1x-2x that stacked lenses have their biggest advantage over extended simple lenses, so here is where I would try some of your excellent combo components....

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Great set of results, Robert. I'd just like to mention that it is at 1x-2x that stacked lenses have their biggest advantage over extended simple lenses, so here is where I would try some of your excellent combo components....
Tried most of this list already.

Minolta DiMAGE Elite 5400 Scanner Lens:
Failed. Turned the flat field into a potato shaped field.

Rayfact GF 80mm f4 Line Scan Lens:
need to try.

Rodenstock Scitex S-3 :
tried one, nothing special.

Rodenstock Magnagon 75mm f/3.5 Scanner Lens:
No front threads but thought about trying it forward.

Schneider APO-Componon 45mm f4 Makro Iris Machine Vision Lens:
This one is okay, much better IQ than using extension. Will work with this one.

Schneider 85mm Macro Varon CAS Line Scan Lens:
Terrible rear lens. Lots of CAs and the field curves. Disappointing.

Tominon 35mm f4.5 Macro Lens:
Not bad, very good CAs and good sharpness but not as good as I hoped.

Back to work I guess :shock:

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions Lou,

Robert

typestar

great test, once more

Post by typestar »

Dear Robert,

a great test, again as we could expect from you...

And again as we see the result of the Minolta and the "cheap" Tominon 35 mm in the second place (if we consider a reasonable price for most of us): I love the tiny setup / length that both need.

All the best,

christian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic