Canon 100 macro + 1.4 extender

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

puzzledpaul

Canon 100 macro + 1.4 extender

Post by puzzledpaul »

I'm considering buying a Canon 1.4x extender to use (mainly) with my Canon 100mm (non-usm) macro lens.

I'm aware that this combination is incompatible without an intermediate extension tube being present, so - the question(s) :)

What is the practical minimum length of extension tube needed to make these 2 bits of kit play nicely together?

With this (length of) tube fitted and the lens wound out to max magnification, what is the 'actual' magnification / fov of the complete combination?

Thx for any help

pp

LordV

Post by LordV »

AFAIK a 12mm ext tube will give you the required clearance. Thios would give you a total mag with the TC of about 1.64:1 and 13.7mm FOV width for a 1.6 crop camera.

Unless you really need to maintain working distance I'd recommend you get a set of kenko ext tubes which will give you 2:1 without any IQ loss but of course will result in closer focus distances.

Brian V.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

Thx for the info, Brian. From pics it'd looked like the 12mm would be all that was needed, but I wondered if anyone had actually had had practical experience of this combination - as info often seems to get repeated by ppl who've never used stuff.

Have already been using extn tubes in the manner you describe for some while but had also been mulling over the 1.4x - but all this was pre mpe.

Since getting the mpe a couple of weeks ago, I'm still experimenting with that atm - and modifying my flash brkt to incorporate the mpe's tripod mount into the setup - so's I can also use same with the 100mm - assuming I can machine a suitable adaptor :)

pp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic