My Yongnuo YN24EX Twin Macro Flash arrived. It's great!

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lonepal

My Yongnuo YN24EX Twin Macro Flash arrived. It's great!

Post by lonepal »

Hi.

My order arrived today and this flash is a really great buy for the money.

Spesifications and purchased ebay link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yongnuo-YN24EX- ... 2458071164

Photos that I took : https://flic.kr/s/aHsm477EYp

If you have any questions, you can ask through here.

Thanks.
Regards.
Omer

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Hi Lonepal.

great. Whats your take on the flash?

are you planning to use it on field apart from your studio setup?. Have you made any diffusion designs?

Thanks
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Hi anvancy!

I started using this flash for my studio work.
I recently purchased a mitutoyo m plan apo 20X lens and understood that working with continuous ligting is very difficult for high magnifications.

Now I am very happy with it.
I use a basic plastic cup for diffusion and working max 1/64 flash power.
I never had any heating or firing delay yet.
Regards.
Omer

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I hate you!

Not really, but I bought a 2nd hand Canon MT-24EX not long ago. Could have got 3 of these Yongnuos for the same price. I don't think they were available then though. At least I hope they weren't! :oops:

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

Thanks Beatsy.

I was almost purchasing Canon MT24EX but then tought that life is short and roses are red :)

I wish I could warn you before your purchase, but your bad luck.
Regards.
Omer

johan

Post by johan »

Looks great, nice purchase! I'm also a "bought the expensive canon unit" owners, it wasn't around at the time!
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

johan wrote:...I'm also a "bought the expensive canon unit" owners, it wasn't around at the time!
Oh well, misery loves company :D

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Beatsy, Johan, don't worry.
Likely the Canon is better, although maybe not to the point to justify the price difference.
I've compared my YN560EX with the (less powered) Canon 430EX and the Canon produces better consistence and more precise exposure and it also tunes the colour temperature communicating with the camera. That said I'm pretty happy with the YN
Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Check the consistency at minimum power
Check that it always fires!
Check that any focus light (does it have one?) works on any/all bodies you may own,
Check that ALL ETTL modes work on all bodies that you may own
Be very careful with the battery door lock.
:!:
Chris R

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

I have seen the flash in use in the field in my recent rainforest trip.
The model lights placed above the flash tube are useful in visualizing how the light will cover the subject.

The build quality is good for the price point. YN did smart play by including the lever lock to the hotshoe and not the normal screw lock on the venus. The venus has this peculiar problem where you "feel" the flash is locked and then it slips out of the camera hotshoe.

The light consistency is also good. I did not see any misfire during the usage. What I particularly liked was there are 1/3 power options between main light range. Example you between 1/128 and 1/64 you can slightly increase the light by +.3 +.7 then next level.
www.anvancy.com

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

ChrisR wrote:Check the consistency at minimum power
Check that it always fires!
Check that any focus light (does it have one?) works on any/all bodies you may own,
Check that ALL ETTL modes work on all bodies that you may own
Be very careful with the battery door lock.
:!:
Consistency is very good at low power (Tested 1/128-1/64), I see very little exposure difference between photos.

I made a stack of 450 images to test and it never missed a fire at 1/128. It also never heated up.

It is already preinformed that this is a Canon spesific flash and will work only with canon cameras.

You can also Access the external flash settings on your camera as the MT24EX. This is very nice!

Battery door lock of this flash seems to be reinforced with metal plates.

So I am sorry for the ones WHO bought a Canon MT24EX and paid so much money :)
Regards.
Omer

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

lonepal wrote:So I am sorry for the ones WHO bought a Canon MT24EX and paid so much money :)
Rub it in why dontcha :lol:

Actually, it would be great if they came out with a Sony version as I can only use the MT24-EX manually on A7rii and A9. Not the end of the world, I tend to prefer manual anyway, but HSS or ETTL would be useful in changing light conditions. But Sony don't make anything like an MP-E65 (yet?) so I'm likely hoping in vain.

Main concern is the resale value of MT24-EX, it surely must be plummeting now this is on the market. Wondering whether it would be wise to sell the Canon flash and buy a Yongnuo while there's still a big price difference. The MT24-EX only goes as low as 1/64th too, so the extra stop dimmer would be useful as well.

Decisions, decisions.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

It is already preinformed that this is a Canon spesific flash and will work only with canon cameras.
From experience of two YN models though, that may not mean it'll work fully, on future Canon cameras. For manual use it'll probably be OK.
Lack of an "IR" focus light on my later Canon with one YN flash, is a pain. They won't correct it unless I pay for postage to and from China.
Chris R

lonepal

Post by lonepal »

ChrisR wrote:
From experience of two YN models though, that may not mean it'll work fully, on future Canon cameras. For manual use it'll probably be OK.
Lack of an "IR" focus light on my later Canon with one YN flash, is a pain. They won't correct it unless I pay for postage to and from China.
Hi Chris;

You are right they do not guarantee that the flash will work with future models. But how often do you change your camera?

I use a Canon 100D for macro work and I think I will use it until it is broken.

And I think you are expecting so much thing from a 160USD flash.
It does its job very vell especially when you think its price.

If you are OK to pay at least 750USD for MT24EX, 5 times more than the YN24EX, then you will be sure about all your concerns.

Both that is the qustion : Worth it?
Regards.
Omer

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

These are my on field observation faced recently side by side of the YN 24EX and the Venus KX 800:

The number one question I got as a venus KX-800 owner is "why should I buy the venus if the yongnuo is available at a cheaper price.?"

Venus has now increased their flash price to $300 which feels little expensive given that it is a Non TTL flash. All ask me what is the point in spending $300 when they get TTL at $165.

Using the venus from 2015 has shown me where the advantages and disadvantages are. In my recent side by side comparison, the YN could not match the versatility of the Venus. The on demand flexibility of light movement is not capable on the YN. Though the YN heads can be screwed on to little ball heads which can be fit to ebay macro brackets. I doubt if the reach will match that of venus. I also noticed that the light output of the venus was higher than the yongnuo. Dont know if it was a diffuser difference.

The YN's modeling lamps on the heads is a very smart move.

In the end I told them these are two very different systems with two different uses.

Nikon users were sad that YN did not release a Nikon version.
www.anvancy.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic